Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant moving out question

Options
  • 03-02-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Im renting a double room to a colleague who moved into my house in November. No deposit or contract as I know this person.

The agreement was she stayed until april, with rent being payed 1st of every month. She then extended to may which was perfect.

Rent has been late twice, but always got it in the end and full of apologies.

Out of the blue the other day I was told that she is moving out on Thursday with her bf but my rent will be payed for the week.

Still no sign of the rent. Im smashed and need a bill to pay but dont want to sound money hungry asking where it is.

People have been saying to me that by right she should be staying until the end of the month or just at least paying her months rent in full. To clarify, I will not be asking her to do either, I just need to clear this up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

She's a licensee rather than a tenant, so she can leave at little or no notice. Why would she pay the rest of the month for a room she's not using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

She's a licensee rather than a tenant, so she can leave at little or no notice. Why would she pay the rest of the month for a room she's not using?

That was my original thought. I just wanted to clarify this because a few people told me different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Just ask for it. It's not money-hungry to get what you're entitled to. "Oh hi, cruais, would you leave out the last week's rent by Tuesday evening, please?"

The more you dress it up, the more room for argument, if that's what you're afraid of.

Just ask for it. It's not money-hungry to get what you're entitled to. "Oh hi, cruais, would you leave out the last week's rent by Tuesday evening, please?"

The more you dress it up, the more room for argument, if that's what you're afraid of.

Youre right..... thats what my husband is saying too. He reckons if I dont have it by the time he is finished work this eve he is going to just come out and say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why wouldnt you just come out and say it? No point beating around the bush; if youre owed the money then ask for it. You shouldnt have to ask for rent money at all; this girl is taking you for a ride quite frankly.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Why wouldnt you just come out and say it? No point beating around the bush; if youre owed the money then ask for it. You shouldnt have to ask for rent money at all; this girl is taking you for a ride quite frankly.

You are right. I would give my last penny to anybody. I'm not the type of person who would be stingy or anything about money.

The whole reason we rented a room was because like most people, we could really, really do with the money at the moment.

Personally if I had the choice, I would be a bit reluctant to rent out the room again which isnt really an option at the moment.

Hopefully today will be the day! I wouldnt mind, im not even asking for money towards bills. Just charging for the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

never ever do business with family or friends, i find it easier to deal with people who do not know me nor i them,
    i would just charge her for the time spent, say if it is a week extra then that is what you ask for,
    you were letting out a room in a house you are living in, no contracts, she does not have to give notice just a week at most.
    say if she stayed 9 days rather than a week, because she is a work colleague, just charge the week, better for you i think, you have to work with her, and you would be better off with a good work relationship, than losing a few euro, not worth the bother.

this is just my opinion

goat2 wrote: »
    never ever do business with family or friends, i find it easier to deal with people who do not know me nor i them,
    i would just charge her for the time spent, say if it is a week extra then that is what you ask for,
    you were letting out a room in a house you are living in, no contracts, she does not have to give notice just a week at most.
    say if she stayed 9 days rather than a week, because she is a work colleague, just charge the week, better for you i think, you have to work with her, and you would be better off with a good work relationship, than losing a few euro, not worth the bother.

this is just my opinion

I know that and completely agree with you. As I was saying above, im not stingy when it comes to money etc and have no issue with her moving out etc but its just my rent im owed that is annoying me.

Right, I grew a set and asked and surprise surprise, she doesnt have it. It will be at least thursday or friday. Im fuming.

No chance of getting a lend either.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Maybe a gentle reminder that you legally dump her belonging out on the lawn might kickstart into action...

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Maybe a gentle reminder that you legally dump her belonging out on the lawn might kickstart into action...

If only! I hate being put in a position of having to ask. It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

put it down as a lesson learnt and get a deposit next time

Advertisement