Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes - maintenance: Cream ? Wax ? Polish ?

Options
  • 02-02-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a pair of good Clarks men's shoes - brown. Brown >100 quid.

The staff say I should not use shoe polish, but only come kind of clear "cream" in a tube like a toothpaste tube... but I was reluctant to buy there and then as it was so expensive.

Does anyone know if this is right ? and where I would get it cheaper than from the Clarks shop ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Depends on the material you're cleaning/maintaining.

If it's a leather upper, you can pick up treatments online or in lots of shoe shops (check out reviews to choose a specific one). Basic polish can dry out and deteriorate the leather.

If it's mixed or a different material, it's probably best to go with the recommended treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

bscm wrote: »
    Depends on the material you're cleaning/maintaining.

If it's a leather upper, you can pick up treatments online or in lots of shoe shops (check out reviews to choose a specific one). Basic polish can dry out and deteriorate the leather.

If it's mixed or a different material, it's probably best to go with the recommended treatment.

It's normal bog standard dark brown leather as far as I can see. The guy in the Clarks shop on O'Connell street said I must not use polish .. only the cream ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Piliger wrote: »
    It's normal bog standard dark brown leather as far as I can see. The guy in the Clarks shop on O'Connell street said I must not use polish .. only the cream ..

That's normal advice with leather shoes. Leather is essentially skin, and like our own skin, it requires moisture and nutrients to remain at it's peak condition. Bog standard polish only gives it a shine, and usually contains harsh chemicals or alcohol which dry it out.

Amazon would probably be your best bet. As I said, keep an eye on the reviews. I can't recommend a specific type as most of my leather shoes were either coated or else treated with a cream that has since lost it's label.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Okydoky - thanks bscm. Appreciate it.

Advertisement