Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seventh son of a seventh son.

Options
  • 02-02-2014 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Always knew my father was the seventh son of a seventh son and we always joked about it but recently I was told by a person who is very involved and very educated in the world of paranormal that me being the only son of a seventh of a seventh son also carries with it a story..

Does anyone know more? Can anyone help? Internet seems to turn up nothing at all. The person who told me this is currently researching also but many hands and all that. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Told what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Moldocabe

bumper234 wrote: »
    Told what?

That being the only son of a seventh, seventh son carries with it it own legend or it own powers sorta speak. I'm not really into paranormal but I am interested to find out if being the only son of a 7th son of a 7th son does have some supposed magic attached to it sorta speak

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

No magic or powers associated to the the only son of a seventh son, sorta speak.

Plates wrote: »
    No magic or powers associated to the the only son of a seventh son, sorta speak.

Cool where did you get the info? Is there a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ye could be a bit more informative if you do actually know for certain there are no myths or legends around it.

It's the first time I've heard of it myself, although the 7th son of a 7th son goes way back.

• Advertisement

ye could be a bit more informative if you do actually know for certain there are no myths or legends around it.

It's the first time I've heard of it myself, although the 7th son of a 7th son goes way back.

There's nothing available online and if it was true your magic powers would tell you so.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I went to a seventh son of a seventh son for a skin condition many years ago. He placed his hands on my face and asked me could I feel heat? Of course I could because his hands were on my face so friction caused the heat, and no he didn't cure me. So from my experience it's bullish!t but many would disagree with me.

Edit: place a worm in the palm of your dad's hand, if it dies he's got the seventh son power....aparantly :)

lukesmom wrote: »
    I went to a seventh son of a seventh son for a skin condition many years ago. He placed his hands on my face and asked me could I feel heat? Of course I could because his hands were on my face so friction caused the heat, and no he didn't cure me. So from my experience it's bullish!t but many would disagree with me.

Edit: place a worm in the palm of your dad's hand, if it dies he's got the seventh son power....aparantly :)

I ain't here to prove or disprove just to did out what it's all supposed to mean in myth and legend etc.

There's nothing available online and if it was true your magic powers would tell you so.

QED

You come across as someone who wouldn't believe anything in the paranormal anyway. Is doesn't take magic powers to know your a flute just here to take the piss.

Taken from Wikipedia

The seventh son of a seventh son is a concept from folklore regarding special powers given to, or held by, such a son. The seventh son must come from an unbroken line with no female children born between, and be, in turn, born to such a seventh son.[1] The number seven has a long history of mystical and religious associations: seven deadly sins, seven sleepers, seven-league boots, seven ages of man, seven days of creation, seven hills of Rome, seven lucky gods of Japanese mythology, the Seven Sages, seven sisters, seven stars, seven wonders of the world, etc. In this case, it refers to a man who is the seventh son of a man who is himself a seventh son.

In some beliefs, the special powers are inborn, inherited simply by virtue of his birth order; in others the powers are granted to him by God or gods because of his birth order.

The seventh son of a seventh son is also widely believed to have a direct link to Satan in some areas, and is thus granted with other "special abilities."

• Advertisement

Moldocabe wrote: »
    You come across as someone who wouldn't believe anything in the paranormal anyway. Is doesn't take magic powers to know your a flute just here to take the piss.

No need to get personal. Please don't turn me onto a toad.

Taken from Wikipedia

The seventh son of a seventh son is a concept from folklore regarding special powers given to, or held by, such a son. The seventh son must come from an unbroken line with no female children born between, and be, in turn, born to such a seventh son.[1] The number seven has a long history of mystical and religious associations: seven deadly sins, seven sleepers, seven-league boots, seven ages of man, seven days of creation, seven hills of Rome, seven lucky gods of Japanese mythology, the Seven Sages, seven sisters, seven stars, seven wonders of the world, etc. In this case, it refers to a man who is the seventh son of a man who is himself a seventh son.

In some beliefs, the special powers are inborn, inherited simply by virtue of his birth order; in others the powers are granted to him by God or gods because of his birth order.

The seventh son of a seventh son is also widely believed to have a direct link to Satan in some areas, and is thus granted with other "special abilities."

Aha, Wikipedia, the source of all truth.

Interesting read, but the OP asked about powers relating to being the only son of a seventh son.

QED

So you don't really know then, k.

So you don't really know then, k.

So would it be just as valid for me to claim vague knowledge that I heard apparently that because I'm the 3rd son, of a 4th daughter of an adopted asthmatic that I have mystical powers?

Can you prove me wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The seventh son must come from an unbroken line with no female children born between

Never knew that, makes it much more unlikely.

So would it be just as valid for me to claim vague knowledge that I heard apparently that because I'm the 3rd son, of a 4th daughter of an adopted asthmatic that I have mystical powers?

Can you prove me wrong?

that's not what we're discussing here Plates, you don't and didn't know if there's any relevance re: the first born son of a seventh son yet you just said no anyway for the sake of it, probably because you don't give much credence to it.

You as much as admitted that, so you haven't contributed anything but sarcasm and negativity to the topic and the OP.

So you dont know if there is or isnt, you cant find anything on the internet, all signs are pointing to it being an either obscure myth or nonexistant. Either of those with fact proving or disproving, either from a seventh son or someone who is a little more educated than me and you on the subject is what's really called for here. If you're just going to drag the topic down to petty name calling and offtopic BS you should probably just pm me instead.

that's not what we're discussing here Plates, you don't and didn't know if there's any relevance re: the first born son of a seventh son yet you just said no anyway for the sake of it, probably because you don't give much credence to it.

You as much as admitted that, so you haven't contributed anything but sarcasm and negativity to the topic and the OP.

So you dont know if there is or isnt, you cant find anything on the internet, all signs are pointing to it being an either obscure myth or nonexistant. Either of those with fact proving or disproving, either from a seventh son or someone who is a little more educated than me and you on the subject is what's really called for here. If you're just going to drag the topic down to petty name calling and offtopic BS you should probably just pm me instead.

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure you called me a flute.

My main issue here is that the OP said that he "was told by a person who is very involved and very educated in the world of paranormal that me being the only son of a seventh of a seventh son also carries with it a story..". However, this "educated" person provided no reference (or at least nothing mentioned by the OP) to substantiate this.

A tenuous link to something that's well documented (i.e. the seventh son story) does not a valid argument make. I spent a few minutes searching online and didn't find a single reference. My "offtopic BS" has as much foundation as being the first son of a seventh son.

Try not to take it so personally and you might avoid knee jerk emotional reactions.

No need to get personal. Please don't turn me onto a toad.

Point proven. Thanks. Saves me a job.

Moldocabe wrote: »
    Point proven. Thanks. Saves me a job.

Have I missed something here? What was your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Advertisement

Okay apparantly the seventh son of a seventh son has the gift of being able to heal others.

Have I missed something here? What was your point?

Your not on here to discuss the topic or the possibilities around it. You are here to dismiss it. I asked a question in the hope of someone seeing it who knows a bit more about the subject. I put it in the paranormal section purposefully hoping to avoid people like you. I ain't claiming nothing I am merely asking a question out of interest to see of anyone knew more about the subject. Simple as. I haven't disagreed with you at all but I do think that taking a dismissive sarcastic approach is the behaviour of a flute.

If you are not interested don't bother yourself with the madness of it all.

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure you called me a flute.

My main issue here is that the OP said that he "was told by a person who is very involved and very educated in the world of paranormal that me being the only son of a seventh of a seventh son also carries with it a story..". However, this "educated" person provided no reference (or at least nothing mentioned by the OP) to substantiate this.

A tenuous link to something that's well documented (i.e. the seventh son story) does not a valid argument make. I spent a few minutes searching online and didn't find a single reference. My "offtopic BS" has as much foundation as being the first son of a seventh son.

Try not to take it so personally and you might avoid knee jerk emotional reactions.

You are mistaken, i didn't call you anything of the sort.

You're right -on your second and third points because there's no reasonably accessible documentation besides the word of this unknown person we have nothing to go on. This doesn't mean i'm right and you're wrong or vice versa, it just means there's no information regarding it until proven either way it's in limbo.

On taking things personally, i assume you're talking about the insult i never typed, so i'll forgive you for that.

Okay apparantly the seventh son of a seventh son has the gift of being able to heal others.

..or be a werewolf! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Plates - Cool it down a bit, alright? There's no need to get snarky and insulting towards the other posters here just because they aren't telling you what you want to hear.

Get off your high horse and have a wee bit of respect for others' beliefs (irrespective of whether you agree with them, or not).
    Thank you.

Plates - Cool it down a bit, alright? There's no need to get snarky and insulting towards the other posters here just because they aren't telling you what you want to hear.

Get off your high horse and have a wee bit of respect for others' beliefs (irrespective of whether you agree with them, or not).
    Thank you.

The insults are going both ways, including references to "high horses". I'm not clear how the reference to special powers relating to the first son of a seventh son can be considered a belief that needs to be respected since no one has yet stated that they believe it. Are opposing views not welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

The insults are going both ways, including references to "high horses". I'm not clear how the reference to special powers relating to the first son of a seventh son can be considered a belief that needs to be respected since no one has yet stated that they believe it. Are opposing views not welcome?

True - the purported link between special powers and the son of a seventh son is not a belief that needs to be respected, or even agreed with, BUT the broader, general principle of respecting that that is what another person chooses to believe in is what I'm referring to.

I welcome opposing views myself, as long as they're outlined in a reasonable manner, without including any caustic side swipes at the other person's belief in such-and-such. Put your thoughts out there without turning the discussion into a bit of a battleground, if at all possible.

I understand that these types of discussions tend to rile everyone up (on all sides) - I've seen enough on these forums over the years to know that by now. But, with all due respect now, some posters (and I'm not 'blaming' you alone now - obviously, yeah, it takes two to tango) have managed to create and sustain a mutually respectful, thought-provoking and enlightening discussion on various contentious topics around here in the past.

So, with that in mind... EVERYONE, please cool down and try to contribute some genuinely substantive info/evidence of some kind for why it may or may not be the case that special powers are linked with being a seventh son of a seventh son.

That reminds me of something actually... I'm fairly sure (if my memory serves me correctly) that this guy claims to be the seventh son of a seventh son - Wexford-based(?) medium Michael Anthony:
    Hmmm...

Advertisement