Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Carrier for Small Hatchbacks

Options
  • 01-02-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, buying my first car soon and didn't know whether to put this in Motors or Cycling but went with cycling as I think they'd laugh at me in Motors if I said the ability to carry a roadbike on the back was a dealbreaker :o

It is though, so can a bike carrier be got for any car? Ill probably end up with either a Fiesta or a Micra. A carrier on the back that is as I wouldnt be able to relax with the bike standing up straight on a roofrack if one of those would even fit on a small car.

What other options are there if not? Quick release front wheel and put it in the back seat? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Beautiful design but that price makes it option of last resort, thanks for the tip though as they do fit nearly all Micras and I will get one if it comes to it, one of those on the back would actually improve the aesthetics of the cars Ive been looking at...

Anyone ever get one of the Aldi/Lidl racks on a small car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Check out buzzrack

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I borrowed one of these for a trip to France.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11168

Two bikes onboard and hundreds of kilometers and the bikes didn't move an inch and were unmarked.

Returned home and bought one for myself. I've used on saloons, estates and hatchbacks. Strongly recommended.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I drive a golf and stick the bike in the back seat.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Brian? wrote: »
    I drive a golf and stick the bike in the back seat.
    That's what I've done in the past. Drop the wheels out and fitting a bike into a hatchback is a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Too much of a pain in the ass if you have to do the back wheel aswell though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thargor wrote: »
    Too much of a pain in the ass if you have to do the back wheel aswell though.

You don't, just the front wheel. Mine is a large bike as well, 58cm.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cycle to the viewing and first check is will the bike fit. If not, cycle away home again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I borrowed one of these for a trip to France.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11168

Two bikes onboard and hundreds of kilometers and the bikes didn't move an inch and were unmarked.

Returned home and bought one for myself. I've used on saloons, estates and hatchbacks. Strongly recommended.

I've got one of these and it's pretty decent. Three bikes seems a bit optimistic if you're hauling mountain bikes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I have the Thule 9103 on my Golf. Tidy rack that fits on quickly and solidly once set up right. They've a fit guide here so you can see what the options are for fiestas/micras etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 on the Bones 3. It was about my only option for a Focus (even then not officially, but it does work)

Easy to mount, looks great, and most importantly rock solid. The only downside as you've noticed is the price, though it's worth shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Bones 3 reduced to €125 on probikekit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

Grassey wrote: »
    Bones 3 reduced to €125 on probikekit

Yeah, back seat is free, I managed to fit 2 bikes in with front wheels off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Have a Fiesta and the bike fits grand in the back seat with the wheel off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ive used one of these Hollywood Express 3 bike car rack for a good few years. 80 euro. never marked a bike but i put a glove on the pedal so as it doesn't mark the car. have used on saloons and hatches.
    brought 2 bikes from Mayo to Waterford and not an issue.

http://www.marreybikes.com/bike-car-racks/22-express-3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 48 joe50

provided the back seat is down, mine fits in with the front wheel on.. turn the front wheel down behind the front seats, and there should be no bother..

actually much easier to fit bikes in a hatchback than in some of the bigger cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Toyota Yaris is big enough for my bike to fit inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

The Opel Corsa had an optional factory fit bike rack. I'm sure they're as rare as hen's teeth 2nd hand, but it looks like a really neat solution
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA4HaKthwcs

Advertisement