Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to portlaoise

Options
  • 01-02-2014 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering what's portlaoise like to live in? Myself and the wife are thinking of moving there from Dublin. We need to move because of work. Is it a decent area? Is anyone on here from Dublin or surrounding areas living there? What estates would you recommend ?

Hope to hear from u soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering what's portlaoise like to live in? Myself and the wife are thinking of moving there from Dublin. We need to move because of work. Is it a decent area? Is anyone on here from Dublin or surrounding areas living there? What estates would you recommend ?

Hope to hear from u soon.

Like all towns, there's rough areas. But it's mostly ok place. There's some estates I would totally avoid due to nothing more than rough craftsmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Theres lots of us dubs living in Portlaoise :-)
    Just like Dublin, there's nice areas and there's bad areas! But over all, it's a decent place to live and Dublin is very accessible also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

Cheers thanks lads, can either of you guys private message me the estates areas to avoid? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just wondering, are you thinking of renting or buying?

Would agree with other posters, some lovely areas in Portlaoise.
    New schools, new shops, nice restaurants, theatre, cinema.....and very close to motorway which is always a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Does it have to be portlaoise town itself ? There are many nice villages/ small towns within 10 mins of p laois which have good facilities too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Does it have to be portlaoise town itself ? There are many nice villages/ small towns within 10 mins of p laois which have good facilities too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's alright. Plaoise has a TK Maxx, Lidl, Aldi, Dunne Stores, Tesco, Boots. One cinema plus the Dunamase Arts Centre. A few nice restaurants, only 2 or 3 top ones imo. Nightlife is ok, but only 2 nightclubs. I've lived here a good few years. If I could I'd probably live in somewhere like Abbeyleix or Ballyroan. You'll have a pick of houses to rent or buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 natrazu

I'm thinking of renting in Portlaoise too and I'd like to know the places to avoid. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

natrazu wrote: »
    I'm thinking of renting in Portlaoise too and I'd like to know the places to avoid. Thanks!
    Knockmay and St. Brigids area best avoided for a start.

Sorry for asking again but, I saw a house that I like in Fairgreen Village. I know is kind of far away from the town centre but I want to know how is like there? I read here that there are a bit of truble going on on the Fairgreen apartments, Is the same in the houses area? Thank you very much!

• Advertisement

Sorry for asking again but, I saw a house that I like in Fairgreen Village. I know is kind of far away from the town centre but I want to know how is like there? I read here that there are a bit of truble going on on the Fairgreen apartments, Is the same in the houses area? Thank you very much!

Which end of the housing area is it?
    Some parts of the housing area are nicer than others. You just have to walk around the area to see this.
    A family friend advised me to avoid Glenkeen in Fairgreen. They're living in Cosby Ave. As far as I remember. They're in a nice quiet part of the estate.

Is in gandon close. I was there yesterday and i liked the area so here it is a new habitant in Portlaoise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Just wondering, are you thinking of renting or buying?

Would agree with other posters, some lovely areas in Portlaoise.
    New schools, new shops, nice restaurants, theatre, cinema.....and very close to motorway which is always a bonus.

Hi, we are looking to rent.

Thanks for msg. Do you live there?

Hi, I'd like to know avoidable areas too. I'm looking at two houses next week if they aren't already gone

Hi, I'd like to know avoidable areas too. I'm looking at two houses next week if they aren't already gone

Fire1985 wrote: »

Where are you going to view them, fire?

Advertisement