Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming predictions 2014

Options
  • 01-02-2014 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

What are everyones gaming predictions for 2014? For me its

Nintendo -

Gamecube style control Wii U pad released for smash bros use
    Smash bros is delayed to 2015
    Some form of metroid game announced, if not released
    New zelda shown, 2015 release
    Pokemon stadium style game announced for Wii U, ability to play with XY players over wifi

Sony -
    New wipeout announced for PS4
    Uncharted 4 shown, 2015 release
    New god of war teased
    Maybe(wishful thinking) a new resistance game.
    New ratchet and clank shown

Xbox -

Crackdown 3 announced
    New gears of war shown, the first 3 or 4 games released on xbone
    Halo 5 on xbone announced
    Cheaper xbox one model will turn to be the existing model, and the discless model will be the premium SKU.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sony -
    New wipeout announced for PS4

Studio Liverpool are now gone so I would be a bit unsure of a new wipeout.

My prediction:

A new Valkyria Chronicles for a home console (any console would do thank you very much Sega).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sony

Shenmue 3
    Shenmue 3
    Shenmue 3
    Shenmue 3

Sony

Shenmue 3
    Shenmue 3
    Shenmue 3
    Shenmue 3

While I think the announcement of Shenmue 3 would be met with a lot of excitement I can't help but think that the game would ultimately be a disappointment. If I'm to be honest Shenmue really wasn't that good of a game. It was great because of its technical achievement but in terms of gameplay I felt it was lacking. I remember thinking it was going to be the saviour of the Dreamcast and then reading that it only got 32/40 in fatimsu (I was so disappointed - and right before Christmas). Shenmue 2 was a vast improvement.

I reckon if a Shenmue 3 was released it would be a commercial disaster. Let's face facts, the first 2 hardly set the charts alight and most of the fans of the series are probably just not interested any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Vyse wrote: »
    While I think the announcement of Shenmue 3 would be met with a lot of excitement I can't help but think that the game would ultimately be a disappointment. If I'm to be honest Shenmue really wasn't that good of a game. It was great because of its technical achievement but in terms of gameplay I felt it was lacking. I remember thinking it was going to be the saviour of the Dreamcast and then reading that it only got 32/40 in fatimsu (I was so disappointed - and right before Christmas). Shenmue 2 was a vast improvement.

I reckon if a Shenmue 3 was released it would be a commercial disaster. Let's face facts, the first 2 hardly set the charts alight and most of the fans of the series are probably just not interested any more.

The keyword is gameplay and I agree people either loved shenmue or hated either opinion is acceptable like any cult film or media it has a following. I don't agree it be a disappointment since the disappointment in itself is the series never getting a ending , its what shenmue fans want.

There has been alot of commercial disaster games as you put it out there that still get released shenmue is a unique experience that needs to be made not to be commercial success but it needs to be released for the good of the industry.

Sony is the only one that can make this game not nintendo nor microsoft. Sure the technical achievements have changed since 2001 and I disagree on the matter people have forgotten about shenmue. ps facebook , sega facebook and twitter accounts yoshida aswell fans are pleading for a release after a decade.

Shenmue wont cost aloads as long its funded correctly.

Sony best games this generation had no gameplay and it benfited from them as a company aswell as the industry showing the industry can make things more than a game you play but a experience you experience.

Flower, Journey, flow , gone home you see and feel the magic and beauty in the art.

If heavy rain can sell millions I do not see why shenmue who has a legacy cannot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Nintendo to develop multiplatform games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

jimboblep wrote: »
    Nintendo to develop multiplatform games

Not a chance :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Pretty much none of the things mentioned in this thread will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Not sure about predicitions, but as fair as things I'd like to see, Nintendo getting back on their feet would be the main one for me. Also, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'd love to see a sequel to the Devil May Cry remake soo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

PC

Half life 3 & L4D3 announced
    Blizzards next MMO announced

Madness ensues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vyse wrote: »
    My prediction:

A new Valkyria Chronicles for a home console (any console would do thank you very much Sega).

That's more wishful thinking than a prediction. Sega killed that franchise with poor handling and a dreadful anime. Also if it comes out on anything it will be a handheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think Nintendo will (and need to) go all out at E3.

Revamping services
    -- unified cross-platform account, at least announced (if not launched)
    -- virtual console revamped (and ramped up)
    -- possible subscription service a la PS+

Big big games announced
    -- We know there is a new IP from Shigeru Miyamoto in the wings, but they still need new versions of their old ones (especially on Wii U). Metroid, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F Zero, Mario Galaxy 3/Universe, Zelda etc.
    -- More HD versions/revamps of old games.
    -- huge push for indie developers to join (to fill void left by fleeing third parties)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mr E wrote: »

Revamping services

Big big games announced
    -- We know there is a new IP from Shigeru Miyamoto in the wings, but they still need new versions of their old ones (especially on Wii U). Metroid, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F Zero, Mario Galaxy 3/Universe, Zelda etc.
    -- huge push for indie developers to join (to fill void left by fleeing third parties)

If we even got a quarter of what you predict it'd be a win for us wii u owners.

I'd looooove to see a new Starfox game but it probably won't happen. Will just have to keep playing it on my N64 for now. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Mr E wrote: »

Revamping services

Big big games announced

From what I know (in order):

Cross platform account - Check
    Virtual Console revamp - Check
    PS+ style service - Negative
    Metroid - Negative
    Star Fox - 60/40
    Kid Icarus - Negative
    F Zero - Negative (this year)
    Mario Galaxy 3/Universe - Possibly announced 2014
    Zelda - Check
    More HD versions of old games - Maybe one
    Indie - Negative unless they COMPLETELY change their digital model

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's more wishful thinking than a prediction. Sega killed that franchise with poor handling and a dreadful anime. Also if it comes out on anything it will be a handheld.

Absolutely wishful thinking. Don't think that there will be too many suprises in 2014 unless we have some radical changes from Nintendo. MS and Sony have just released their consoles so we won't be seeing any suprises there.

So my realistic predictions are:

New Call of Duty
    New Fifa
    New Sonic game
    1st party support for nintendo to improve whilst 3rd party continues to decline
    Sony to announce some sort of virtual reality device

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Nintendo :
    Market share bounces back in August when an insider breaks the NDA surrounding Project Daedelus. I've already said too much!

Microsoft :
    Release a new line of premium phones aimed at the handheld gaming market.
    Initial excitement sours when news leaks that the hardware is on par with the touchscreen on your XPhone won't respond to other people's fingers unless you pay MS a licensing fee.

Sony :
    Win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Everyone

Microtransactions everywhere. Grind for three days or pay just 2.99 to level up now.

Not a prediction I'd like to come true, but I've got a bad feeling about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Big games will be released (Titanfall, Infamous, Mario Kart). They'll get great reviews. Everyone will love them. Within a week people will start turning on them and saying they suck.

A new Prince of Persia will finally be announced. Would like a sequel to the 2008 one.

A new Metorid will be announced. Nintendo will also make a big announcement at or around E3 with release within the year.

Majora 3DS is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

My prediction is that Not one single game released this year by any developer will have had enough time to be completed , requiring us to download a stupidly large patch on week one.

Remember the days when you bought a game and it was actually finished !! Beta Testing was something you signed up to for free. Now it seems you have to pay full price for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Everyone

Microtransactions everywhere. Grind for three days or pay just 2.99 to level up now.

Not a prediction I'd like to come true, but I've got a bad feeling about it.

that's be great. Especially if you were late to the party. Nothing worse than playing online and getting pummeled cause you don't have the time to grind for days on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

2014 is going to be a great year for the PC. The Oculus Rift will be the biggest change to gaming in decades and there's some serious racing sims coming out, plus the Nordschleife is going to be laser scanned for the first time in Assetto Corsa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement