Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focusrite 2i2 + Reaper recording level issue

Options
  • 01-02-2014 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I've noticed while recording guitar in Reaper (guitar lead straight into the focusrite), I can't adjust the levels. As in, I seem to get one hot signal at a certain level on Reaper, almost going into the red, and whether I adjust the level on the track on Reaper or the level on the Focusrite, it doesn't seem to affect the signal going in.

Once I've recorded something, I can then adjust the level in Reaper.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How abiut the volume on the guitar, or whatever you have plugged in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

True, but why would there be a volume dial on the focusrite if it's bypassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

I can't make exact sense on the problem you are having.

- The level on Reaper can not be adjusted in Reaper while recording/monitoring the input?
    - The gain pot on the Focusrite does not do anything to the input signal according to Reaper?
    - What colour is the light surrounding the gain pot while you play and adjust the gain level?
    - Is the input set to LINE or INST?
    - Is the guitar going straight into the interface or out of a pedal?
    - If pedal, is it a line out going into an INST input?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

- What colour is the light surrounding the gain pot while you play and adjust the gain level?

Green

Inst. I changed it, and it seems to almost mute it when I do.

straight in, and using amplitube after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

seachto7 wrote: »

Green

Inst. I changed it, and it seems to almost mute it when I do.

straight in, and using amplitube after

Green means its getting a low or safe signal. Once it flashes yellow something fun is happening and red is bad.

Inst is correct, that adjusts the amount of gain applied for a low level signal such as a guitar. A line out from a keyboard has a fair amount of whack behind it so switching it to LINE makes the signal usable. INST and full whack on the guitar should get you a healthy signal.

Regarding the levels in Reaper not changing when you move a fader during recording:

Chances are, Reaper has a pre-fader meter designed to show you what is coming into the computer regardless of your fader level. This is nice as changing the fader in Reaper to something low would hide any overloads.

Regarding the inability to change the level of the signal at the Focusrite, put the guitar and Focusrite all the way up. Hopefully you should get a yellow or red signal when you strum. Do it again and see what Reaper shows then turn the Focusrite all the way down and strum again.

- With guitar up and Focusrite gain max, what happens to the LED and on screen?
    - With guitar up and Focusrite gain min, what is different?

As far as I can tell, the gain does act on the Mic and jack inputs so I am confused as to what could be happening to you.

EDIT:

I do know from my Focusrites that the end of the gain knob does a hell of a lot to the signal. Could you have been using the LINE setting and maxing the gain to get a signal in your DAW?

Whats the craic when you use the other input? I returned a 2i2 due to a preamp issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement