Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ireland cope with a major emergency?

Options
  • 01-02-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Could Ireland cope with a major emergency. E.g large plane crash, passenger ferry sinking or fire on board passenger ferry! Especially looking for opinions of emergency services personnel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Could Ireland cope with a major emergency. E.g large plane crash, passenger ferry sinking or fire on board passenger ferry! Especially looking for opinions of emergency services personnel?

Of course they could the train for them
    Shannon has "major incident" training every six months with fire ambulance and Gardai attending

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Of course they could the train for them
    Shannon has "major incident" training every six months with fire ambulance and Gardai attending

Are the civil defense included in the training, IMO they are a great resource not always recognized in emergency planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Yes, im almost sure every voluntary rescue org are included in the national emergency plan! CD, OMAC, IRC as well as the local authorities !

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Better question, how would Ireland cope with major emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ireland has coped with those kind of circumstances in the past, and everything ran as smoothly could be expected. The last major incident I remember was the Omagh bombing, where there were around 250 dead/injured.

All the emergency services were mobilised, television and radio programmes were interrupted very early, asking medical personnel to report to work. That was obviously part of a prepared emergency plan.

For something happening at sea, the navy would be mobilised, and depending on the location the UK navy may join in to help as well, as would any other merchant vessels in the immediate area. Following the Air India disaster, the Irish navy went to the site to gather whatever remains and wreckage they could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Imthink for certain emergencies the individual froces are well equiped to deal with it. Gardai and other units have drills and such with cross training. There is good communication cross border if needed. Not long ago when a man was missing in mayo a british search team came over to aid, more cooperation.
    I think a major accident at sea is a tricky one especially if it were a tanker or something. I dont think the navy would have the equipment to deal with an oil slick at sea or the meNs to battle if readily available. I may be wrong. But on land at least i'd like to think we're pretty capable of handleing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

IMO ...NO & I'm not being sarcarstic here but we can't even deal with minor emergencys here where a multi-diciplinary response is required.

Even in the preplanned prestaged training exercises they fall well short of being even organised or cooperative.......my head is well out of the sand on this one.

Advertisement