Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 male, what can be done with a weak chin? :(

Options
  • 01-02-2014 12:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 366 ✭✭

When I take a pic of me from the side I see my chin join straight to my neck at a diagonal. I weight 95kg at present so am overweight, and according to bmi obese.

I didn't know a weak chin was a thing until someone said it to me.

Anything that can be done? I read something about chin implants. Is that expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Your first thought is surgery? ?! If ya dont like hoe you look change it in a different way, join a gym or take up cycling or running ffs and dont look for easy ways out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 366 ✭✭Juan_Mata

aaakev wrote: »
    Your first thought is surgery? ?! If ya dont like hoe you look change it in a different way, join a gym or take up cycling or running ffs and dont look for easy ways out!

Oh forgot to add I have been working out and am losing weight.

But I'm thinking the weak chin will still be there. Not going to do anything until I've reached my goal weight anyways. Just wondering if there's hope.

Good keep it up so! Are ypu lifting weights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Goatee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Grow a beard. Simple as that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

get the same surgery that jim carrey got

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnWAXssW_0yqGty6csNj01WRbR5vHn3uqjaOACIJxIYAwek2Sx

000MMI_Jim_Carrey_071.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Finally a use for my PhD :pac:

When you've hit your targets working out it will look much better to you overall but don't get hung up on it. A chin isn't everything.
    If it still bothers you then a beard would work best. Surgery is definitely a bit extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Saw an episode of embarassing bodies Australia and a girl came in with a weak chin that ruined her confidence. The chin implant operation was only a 20 minute procedure and it totally changed the shape of the girls face for the better but more importantly helped raise her confidence. If it still bothers you op after you get in shape, i would say do plenty of research and be very sure its what you want. Oh and start saving cause any plastic surgery is gonna cost big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

MOD
    No medical advice allowed here as always, but keep it to non- medical/surgical chat and I' 'll leave it open for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Juan_Mata wrote: »
    When I take a pic of me from the side I see my chin join straight to my neck at a diagonal. I weight 95kg at present so am overweight, and according to bmi obese.

I didn't know a weak chin was a thing until someone said it to me.

Anything that can be done? I read something about chin implants. Is that expensive?

I weigh 100 kilos and far from over weight. What height are you so it can be put into perspective for us ??

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    I weigh 100 kilos and far from over weight. What height are you so it can be put into perspective for us ??

Same here, im about 98kg, 5'11 and not over weight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No offence to the few posters but im 6 foot and 79 kg and id consider abit of trimming up would do me no harm

corkgsxr wrote: »
    No offence to the few posters but im 6 foot and 79 kg and id consider abit of trimming up would do me no harm

Do you do weight training?

aaakev wrote: »
    Do you do weight training?

Rock climbing. Id say im stronger than the average person

Rock climbing. Id say im stronger than the average person

I know a few lads who climb and they are pretty strong too from it. I lift weights 4 r 5 times a week. We do different sports so you cant compare body shape or weight. You may think you need to loose a bit at 79 kg but that doesnt mean a 100kg lad needs to

I'm 5 foot 9/10? And I don't do weights. I'd only bench 40 or 50kg. I have a big belly and man boobs so I am overweight.

I have found this video.

Go to 3:57. He describes me. Big nose, big bottom lip.

I just took a side pic to see and it's exactly the same. Chin looks like it's at a 45% angle.

I've been trying to use motivation that I'll be goodlooking when I lose weight but I'll only be above average looking at best I feel.

I didn't even notice this before. I knew my side shot didn't look good but didn't notice the chin until was pointed out on a thread on another site. Now I find out it's a thing. The guy in the video says these are all non goodlooking features. :( I'm still going to lose the weight.

EDIT: I breathed through my mouth. Right now it's through my nose but I can't breathe through my nose sometimes. Especially in bed.

Forget the chin. Loose the weight. Thats the more important issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Getting in better shape is generally a good idea, and get your breathing looked at.
    The implant sounds like a bad idea, as it wouldn't fix the underlying problem anyway.
    In the mean time just make an effort to stick your jaw out to retain your muscles a bit?

Take a photo of your profile as it is normally then push your jaw forward until your incisors line up properly and take a photo...
    Basically getting rid of the overbite will help your chin and breathing.

Didn't know I had this problem before yesterday. Very disheartening now. Very conscious of it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It may be the case that it is not as pronounced as you think. The fact that you only noticed it yesterday after someone pointed it out to you would indicate that it probably isn't. You seem to have gotten a blow to your self esteem and may be over reacting
    We all have parts of our bodies that we are paranoid about. If I am to think back to my teens I thought my ears were too big, my eyes not straight, too many freckles, nose crooked, funny shaped head, weak jaw and permanent paranoia about going bald. In effect I was overly analysing every small part of myself compared to the ideal.
    Now it may be the case that what you say is accurate but to jump straight to implants (as has been stated) would not fix the underlying issue. Best thing to do is have a chat with your GP about it and (s)he can give you all the options.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It may be the case that it is not as pronounced as you think. The fact that you only noticed it yesterday after someone pointed it out to you would indicate that it probably isn't. You seem to have gotten a blow to your self esteem and may be over reacting
    We all have parts of our bodies that we are paranoid about. If I am to think back to my teens I thought my ears were too big, my eyes not straight, too many freckles, nose crooked, funny shaped head, weak jaw and permanent paranoia about going bald. In effect I was overly analysing every small part of myself compared to the ideal.
    Now it may be the case that what you say is accurate but to jump straight to implants (as has been stated) would not fix the underlying issue. Best thing to do is have a chat with your GP about it and (s)he can give you all the options.

Whenever I took a side pic of my head I always noticed something weird about it. I thought it was the shape or size of my head but now I know that it is this.

Just disheartening.

k5gxoSu.jpg

This is an outline of me. shaded to protect privacy. It looks bad. :(

k5gxoSu.jpg

This is an outline of me. shaded to protect privacy. It looks bad. :(

Mm you are very red to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

<modsnip>
    Do not diagnose medical conditions on boards. I have already warned about this on thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It looks normal enough to me. Nothing like what was in the videos you posted.
    But as I said if you are realy concerned about it talk to your GP who will be able to give you some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I had thought this was about taking a punch and was going to suggest not getting into fights :P

OP that pic looks normal enough to me? Lose the weight and grow a beard would be my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That looks normal OP.

If you are worried about your chin shape I would talk to a dentist about it. They do ops to change jaw position, although I imagine it would need to be severe enough to affect eating before most people would bother.

Chin aside, I don't think there has anyone who has disimproved looks-wise by becoming normal weight rather than obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Didn't know I had this problem before yesterday. Very disheartening now. Very conscious of it now.

You weren't even aware of it before yesterday. It's not a problem. Let's just get that clear.

Men are most self conscious about appearance and most likely to obsess about little things at about the age of 21. I've been there as have others. Things you haven't worried about in the past and won't in the future.

If you need to, talk to a GP about it.

I'd advise to stick to the weight loss for now and focus fully on that. Leave any decision until after you reach your goal.

Just know everyone has their own little niggles. Most of us magnify them hugely at some stage. It's most likely around your age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

An increase in testosterone could help your chin shape. Try weight lifting for a few months and see if that helps at all.

Also D-Aspartic Acid has been shown to increase testosterone by up to 40%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Forget the chin. Loose the weight. Thats the more important issue
    This. In a big way. Even you have an average chin, being fat will add other less welcome chins. Lose the weight. The rest will follow. Your body will be fitter and look better. Hell I've a chin that Judge Dredd would look upon with envy, but if I bloated up? It would recede pretty damn quickly. Being lean makes your features stand out, so as C says keep on the fitness, losing weight plan.

EDIT, BTW yer man's video you posted? Ehhhhh. No, or at least only a tiny part of the story. I was a mouthbreather. I had a deviated septum from birth so it was the easiest way to go and yet as I said above I've a chin to beat the band. So I kinda call bullshít. "Facts" made to fit a pet theory. In facial development the dentition and how the dentition is exposed to harder foods makes much more of a difference. Never mind childhood trauma and injury and genetics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement