Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Kilkenny City a safe place to live?

Options
  • 01-02-2014 12:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Is Kilkenny City a safe place to live? I've been quite a few times on day trips & never had a problem but was hoping to get a locals view.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

joegdoyle wrote: »
    Is Kilkenny City a safe place to live? I've been quite a few times on day trips & never had a problem but was hoping to get a locals view.

Living here a few years and you won't get much safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

Extremely safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭joegdoyle

thanks guys, been quite a few time ( even got married there last August ) me & the missus love the place so we planning on moving there from London to open up a business. Just wanted to make sure it was ok there

thanks guys, been quite a few time ( even got married there last August ) me & the missus love the place so we planning on moving there from London to open up a business. Just wanted to make sure it was ok there

What kind of business...we can let you know if there is much competition! ;)

opening a fashion boutique. we were over there a couple of weeks ago & saw there's quite a few but we think we could do ok there. the garments we would be selling would be quite a bit different from the norm over there but at competitive prices

• Advertisement

opening a fashion boutique. we were over there a couple of weeks ago & saw there's quite a few but we think we could do ok there. the garments we would be selling would be quite a bit different from the norm over there but at competitive prices

Sounds good. While there are few..they are all pretty much the same so good to have something different. Best of luck.

thanks.....hoping to be up & running start of May

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not rough at all. Even the few so-called rough estates in kk are very mild compared to other towns and cities. Practically any violence in kk is drink related or drug taking. Daytime in kilkenny easily one of the safest in ireland in my experience.

Thanks for your reply's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I think there is a big gap in the market for a mid range store. Something aimed at the 30-40yr old market. Not sure if that would fit with your plans.

• Advertisement

yellow hen that's exactly the kind of market we're going for. we aim to bring good quality & looking trendy clothes.
    Do you find the likes of the big department stores stock clothes that look like what grandmothers wear?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Great place to live, never had a problem, here 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

One of the most safest and crime-free towns in the country tbh.

thanks guys...looking forward to moving there. new chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Kilkenny is grand, you have what would be rough areas but would be the pleasent areas compared to places in london, liverpool etc. You don't get hassle on the street, even the streets at night are pretty damn safe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

yellow hen that's exactly the kind of market we're going for. we aim to bring good quality & looking trendy clothes.
    Do you find the likes of the big department stores stock clothes that look like what grandmothers wear?

I don't live in kk at the minute but we're hoping to move back soon. I find the department stores generally cater for the 55+ market. Some have introduced concession stores but the selection is small and I find sometimes thrashy. I'm in my mid thirties so too old for the very skimpy clubby clothes. I like good cuts, good quality. I'd be prepared to pay more than the high street but less than a boutique. I hope that helps.

yellow hen thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Can get a bit rough on Sat nights with lots of gangs of young fellas around but very quiet the rest of the week.

There's no college / university in the town so a lot of young people in the 18-24 age group are gone & they tend to be the rowdiest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

comeraghs wrote: »
    Can get a bit rough on Sat nights with lots of gangs of young fellas around but very quiet the rest of the week.

There's no college / university in the town so a lot of young people in the 18-24 age group are gone & they tend to be the rowdiest people.

Not really the case at all. Kilkenny is full of young people, I live here, more so young professionals than students of course.

Not rough in the way other towns Ive been to are. Certainly no "gangs" in the LImerick or west Dublin sense. Kilkenny is busy during the weeks right through the summer season too.

Advertisement