Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a retail store

Options
  • 01-02-2014 11:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm opening a retail store & will be importing some stock from China but have a few questions

1: When do I pay customs duty?
    2: How do I pay the duty
    3: Do I pay customs duty on stock from EU?

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

Duty is paid at point of entry .

Google duty calculator for more details

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭joegdoyle

will I need to go somewhere to pay it before it can be delivered to me?
    for example DHL was to courier it from China would they be able to deliver or would it be stuck somewhere until I paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

It will be held in warehouse , while payment is arranged .

Best method to execute this payment is electronically

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maniootek

joegdoyle wrote: »
    will I need to go somewhere to pay it before it can be delivered to me?
    for example DHL was to courier it from China would they be able to deliver or would it be stuck somewhere until I paid?

If it's DHL then you will get SMS from them which looks like:
    (YOUR NAME) Tracking Ref#(TRACKING NUMBER); PROOF OF PURCHASE/ORDER DETAILS are required for Custom clearance. Proof can be provided by: PAYPAL Receipt, Western Union, Bank or a credit card statement. Showing the amount paid/SHIPPING CHARGE / TOTAL PAID. E-MAIL: pop.imports@dhl.com, FX:01 844 8291. If Proof is not received in 5 day's good will be returned.

Once you get this message then you just email/fax them requested documents (screen shot, invoice etc) and you will get another SMS which looks like:
    Dear customer DHL will attempt delivery of shipment no. (TRACKING NUMBER) to you and Customs import taxes of Eur(AMOUNT) are due. In order to receive your shipment please call 01-844 8317 to make payment by credit/debit card. This charge is assigned by Irish customs authority.

Once you get this message you can pay by phone or pay in cash to delivery guy.

Make sure when you order goods from China that your seller provide invoice to DHL with shipping cost (even if you have free shipping option ask him to put some value as shipping cost). Without shipping costs you will be calculated to pay more tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭joegdoyle

maniootek thank you so much, that really helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement