Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inheritance question

Options
  • 01-02-2014 10:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.
    1.If both parents have passed away with no will, does their estate fall to their children in equal parts?
    2. If one child moves into the house and the others want to sell, does that person have to buy the rest out at the market value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Doom wrote: »
    Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.
    1.If both parents have passed away with no will, does their estate fall to their children in equal parts?
    Yes. Through the laws of intestacy the children would inherit the entire estate in equal parts.
    2. If one child moves into the house and the others want to sell, does that person have to buy the rest out at the market value?
    In theory yes, but read on...

If no will was left then the eldest child has first dibs on applying for a grant of probate and to become the personal representative of the deceased (when no will exists there's no executor but rather a personal representative. This person receives the grant of probate which is a court issued document that entitles them to legally act as if they were the deceased (ie only that person can actually sell real property belonging to the deceased).

The personal representative is responsible for ensuring that the property is divided (be that through conveyancing or sale and distribution of monies received) among the children equally. They are legally bound to do this "within a reasonable amount of time".

Is the child in occupation also the personal representative?

Is the child in occupation reasonable or are they expecting to be allowed to remain there without buying the property out?

There is a legal remedy to an unreasonable person in occupation but the cost of this will decimate the entire inheritance for everyone and nobody will win except the legal eagles. Negotiation is absolutely critical here or disaster looms.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP I would suggest you engage the services of a solicitor here.

Mod Note: Legal advice is not permitted to be sought or given on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You can generate your own legal advice if you read the relevant law: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1965/en/act/pub/0027/index.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

OP I would suggest you engage the services of a solicitor here. Legal advice is not permitted to be sought or given on Boards.ie

As I said looking to be pointed in the right direction....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As I said looking to be pointed in the right direction....

The only direction we are allowed point you in- is to your solicitor. Sorry. We are not allowed offer legal advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to free legal advice centre, or citizens advice centre,
    for advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

riclad wrote: »
    GO to free legal advice centre, or citizens advice centre,
    for advice.

Citizens advice is of no use as they do not have legal expertise. Go to a proper solicitor and get the estate to cover the costs. Division of property is a serious business

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm closing this thread- as I don't feel that its appropriate to offer the OP any further information- other than as given- to go and contact a solicitor.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement