Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in a hole literally!

Options
  • 01-02-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Ok so here goes bare with me it's gonna be long.
    Renting a property that was owned by a nice couple and rent was cheap so was heaven to live in.
    Unfortunately one of the owners died and the other owner stopped paying for the house so the bank took over the house. It was given to a agent to sell which they have sold it but won't tell us who the owners are and owners want us out but he promised us he'd find a new house for us to live in.
    Since then problems after problems started in the house.
    We havint had heating in the house in 6 months and are using plug in rads. Costing a lot in electricity.
    Alarm doesn't work. Front door looked to have been messed with and is dodgy to close and open.
    Extended kitchen now has a leak in the roof and looks like another rain shower and it'll collapse.
    Shed window broke and I have expensive things in it like small moto bike , boat engine and other equipment.
    As tenants I'm pretty sure we aren't to pay for this ourselves as it's not like it was our fault they broke.
    This fella of the agent won't give out his mobile number so we've only been able to leave messages with his receptionist which he never calls about. And he never there when we go up.
    He also said he'd find us a house which we got the money for but now turns out someone else is living there now.
    He also is supposed to give us our deposit back and he won't contact us.
    What can we do here.
    House is freezing and falling apart and we have a child living here aswell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Ok so here goes bare with me it's gonna be long.
    Renting a property that was owned by a nice couple and rent was cheap so was heaven to live in.
    Unfortunately one of the owners died and the other owner stopped paying for the house so the bank took over the house. It was given to a agent to sell which they have sold it but won't tell us who the owners are and owners want us out but he promised us he'd find a new house for us to live in.
    Since then problems after problems started in the house.
    We havint had heating in the house in 6 months and are using plug in rads. Costing a lot in electricity.
    Alarm doesn't work. Front door looked to have been messed with and is dodgy to close and open.
    Extended kitchen now has a leak in the roof and looks like another rain shower and it'll collapse.
    Shed window broke and I have expensive things in it like small moto bike , boat engine and other equipment.
    As tenants I'm pretty sure we aren't to pay for this ourselves as it's not like it was our fault they broke.
    This fella of the agent won't give out his mobile number so we've only been able to leave messages with his receptionist which he never calls about. And he never there when we go up.
    He also said he'd find us a house which we got the money for but now turns out someone else is living there now.
    He also is supposed to give us our deposit back and he won't contact us.
    What can we do here.
    House is freezing and falling apart and we have a child living here aswell

Why not find yourself somewhere new to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Id contact prtb and/or threshold, and hand in my notice. Take lots of pictures, by law yo6re supposed to know your landlord's contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Well really your options are to stay or find yourself somewhere else.

If you stay, I doubt you will get any satisfaction on getting any of the items fixed, and you may possibly get a demand for increased rent, more likely though the new owner will just wait for you to move.

if I were you, particularly with a child in the picture, I would find somewhere else to live sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I prob should've pointed out that this fella found us a new house to move into. We were packing our things and getting ready to move. Now someone else is living in it.
    He also has our deposit. Which we need as a deposit on a new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I prob should've pointed out that this fella found us a new house to move into. We were packing our things and getting ready to move. Now someone else is living in it.
    He also has our deposit. Which we need as a deposit on a new house.

He has no obligation to find you somewhere to live, so you will have to sort that out yourself. Are you sure he has your deposit, surely the original owner has that? In this case I imagine the new owner would accept you not paying the last months rent in lieu of the deposit if he is keen for you to vacate. Don't do this without verifying it is ok with the Agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are trolling, right?

No heating for six months. Lots of other things wrong. The house has been sold, and you didn't need to be out at the settlement date. The estate agent doesn't return your calls.

And now you're telling us that you would be willing to live in another house found by the same estate agent.

Either there's way more to this story, or my original question is on the money.

No I'm not trolling so if your not gonna help with any advice then don't post.
    Clearly you havint read my op.
    This estate agent said he'd find us a new house to live in which he did. ( with me so far?? )
    So we said brilliant we'll get ready. After two weeks of ringing his office he hasn't returned our calls and now turns out someone else is living in the house he found us.
    Yes we're looking at our own house to live in but we still need our deposit which he said he has in order to pay our deposit on a new house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

We read it but don't believe it

We read it but don't believe it

Seriously who are you?
    Fcukin stalking me because I made you look like an idiot in after hours?
    Seriously fcuk off and get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Seriously who are you?
    Fcukin stalking me because I made you look like an idiot in after hours?
    Seriously fcuk off and get a life.

Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right warnings & infractions have been handed out, this type of behaviour will not be tolerated here.

If you have a problem with a post then report it and leave the moderation to the mods.
    Do not call out trolls on thread and do not use abusive language.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This estate agent said he'd find us a new house to live in which he did. ( with me so far?? )
    So we said brilliant we'll get ready. After two weeks of ringing his office he hasn't returned our calls and now turns out someone else is living in the house he found us.
    Yes we're looking at our own house to live in but we still need our deposit which he said he has in order to pay our deposit on a new house.

I read your post all right.

You said "This fella of the agent won't give out his mobile number so we've only been able to leave messages with his receptionist which he never calls about. And he never there when we go up."

So in one breath you're telling us that he won't contact you. And in the next that he found you a house. And then that he didn't really find you a house, because someone else has rented it. (I'd guess that most likely he suggested it to you as an option, but someone else got there first because you didn't act on the suggestion.)

But all this is ignoring a very important point. You said: "the bank took over the house. It was given to a agent to sell "

This means that the agent does not have your deposit. The original owner has it (except that they most likely don't actually have the cash any more).

So I will give you some very simple advice. Forget the agent. Forget the deposit. Find yourself somewhere new to live.

If you really cannot put together a new deposit, then contact your CWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

So who takes your rent every month?

It's been givin an account belonging to agent who in turn is giving it to new owners despite them wanting us out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

In a place where the heating has been broken for 6 months and you are paying rent? I'd file a claim with PRTB right away while you still live there. Have you tried suggesting that as soon as you receive a deposit back, you will move out?

Rasmus wrote: »
    In a place where the heating has been broken for 6 months and you are paying rent? I'd file a claim with PRTB right away while you still live there. Have you tried suggesting that as soon as you receive a deposit back, you will move out?

Yes he knows this but for some reason he won't return our messages we leave in his office nor will he give out his personal mobile number.
    We really want to move out and have wanted to since before Xmas but stupidly have hung on his every word. Granted he found us a house and we told him we'd take it. But for past 3 weeks has not contacted us at all. Now that house is gone.
    We've got a lot packed up but were waiting on our deposit which he said he has.

Yes he knows this but for some reason he won't return our messages we leave in his office nor will he give out his personal mobile number.
    We really want to move out and have wanted to since before Xmas but stupidly have hung on his every word. Granted he found us a house and we told him we'd take it. But for past 3 weeks has not contacted us at all. Now that house is gone.
    We've got a lot packed up but were waiting on our deposit which he said he has.

You may have to go down to the office and sit there until the agent sees you.

Regardless of the deposit issue, I would be lodging a complaint with the PSRA about the actions of the agent.
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/whatwedo-en

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Im gonna take a wild guess and say its a case of very bad communication skills on the part of the OP.

Probably not that wild reading over the posts here.
    OP, so yourself a favour and take control of your own life. Find a home for your family.

You may have to go down to the office and sit there until the agent sees you.

Regardless of the deposit issue, I would be lodging a complaint with the PSRA about the actions of the agent.
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/whatwedo-en

Thanks for that link.
    The kitchen roof just collapsed two minutes ago just as I walked out of it thank god didn't hit me.
    Herself rang another crowd yesterday to view 3 houses but none available to view this weekend.

Thanks for that link.
    The kitchen roof just collapsed two minutes ago just as I walked out of it thank god didn't hit me.
    Herself rang another crowd yesterday to view 3 houses but none available to view this weekend.

I think for your own sake you both need to get out of that house.
    If possible get down to the agents office first thing Monday morning and sit it out.

Make sure you take as many photos as possible of this property and have them date stamped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement