Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Schemes

Options
  • 01-02-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Both myself and my partner are currently unemployed after both being made redundant.

I received a letter before Christmas asking me to participate in the TUS scheme. I was optimistic about this as the job hunt hasn't yielded any results yet and I thought getting out of the house for a bit would be great and it would look well on my CV.

My partner has been looking at the Jobsbridge scheme and has been applying to a number of them that she is interested in.

I have an interview with TUS next week, but my partner has been accepted on to one of the Jobsbridge jobs she applied for. The internship she got is ideal as it's in a field she wants to work in and there's a job at the end of it, all going well.

The only problem is we have two young children and I'm not sure how we're meant to afford child care costs on the small amount extra we'd receive from doing these schemes.

Obviously if we where working full time, or even one of us working full time, we'd have more money so could probably afford it. But as things stand we're living week to week and there's not a hope we could afford child care for two kids.

I obviously want my partner to do the internship as it's what she wants to do but I was wondering would there be any hassle with my payments if I explained at the TUS interview I can't participate due to costs?

Or is there anything in place, like an extra allowance, I could apply for?

I'm not work-shy or afraid to take up a placement but I cannot be in a position where we'd be worse off financially.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You could close your claim and go on her claim as an adult dependent. As an adult dependent you wouldnt have to be looking for work and would not have to take part in any activation initiatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eastbono wrote: »
    You could close your claim and go on her claim as an adult dependent. As an adult dependent you wouldnt have to be looking for work and would not have to take part in any activation initiatives.

Would the Department not have a problem with this?

I presume we'd get the same amount? I also presume I can continue to look for full time employment and if successful just inform the Department and get the rate re-adjusted?

WorkTorn wrote: »

I presume we'd get the same amount? I also presume I can continue to look for full time employment and if successful just inform the Department and get the rate re-adjusted?

If you are both on jsa then you would get the same amount... if you are both on jsb then it would be a different story. Of course you can continue to look for full time work.... and if you continue to look for full time work then you should open a credits claim as this is important for you pension in the future. Ye if you get full time work and the fact your partner has the claim for the family its important that she notifies sw that you are working and any earnings you have will be assessed as means against her claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

WorkTorn wrote: »

No, they wouldn't have a problem, really if you're cohabiting one of you should be on a dependant payment anyway and not receiving two separate payments.

It's a bit less money - you'll get 188 for the main claimer, 132 for the adult dependant and 29.60 per dependant child.

January wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't have a problem, really if you're cohabiting one of you should be on a dependant payment anyway and not receiving two separate payments.

It's a bit less money - you'll get 188 for the main claimer, 132 for the adult dependant and 29.60 per dependant child.

If you are co-hab you dont have to be on the one payment. You can have separate claims. With regard to less of a payment this is totally incorrect if you are co-hab or married and both people are on jobseekers allowance then you can only get whats called a maximum payment i.e. 188 personal allowance 124.80 for the adult dependent and 29.80 for each child dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

January wrote: »

Actually its €124 and € 59.80 for the 2 kids ,

Op there is a downside to becoming an adult dependent and for your partner depending on who's claiming ,
    For instance if your partner or you decide you want to do a CE scheme who ever is the dependant wouldn't qualify as your not receiving a payment in you or her own right ,

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

There might be a Government run Childcare (Resource Centre) nearby that dont charge alot if you are on a Social Welfare payment.
    THere is different payment bands eg. if you have a Medical card, it is much cheaper for you to get your children cared for.
    It is worth looking in to, also sometimes these centres run courses and your children are cared for free when you attend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

eastbono wrote: »

whilst you can do this, and there are benefits to it, it will also lock you out of schemes and courses. If you want to work or retrain i wouldn't advise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

Hi, wonder if someone can advice, I have been working full time for a period of 6 months( maternity cover ), now that my colleague is back I am on 22 hours a week,
    would it be the case to go to local social welfare and register??, my worry is that 22 hours are spread over 4 days a week, I heard that you have to work no more than 3 days, to be able to claim for the rest.... any advice please....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

rigu wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if someone can advice, I have been working full time for a period of 6 months( maternity cover ), now that my colleague is back I am on 22 hours a week,
    would it be the case to go to local social welfare and register??, my worry is that 22 hours are spread over 4 days a week, I heard that you have to work no more than 3 days, to be able to claim for the rest.... any advice please....
    Are you claiming FIS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

mp22 wrote: »
    Are you claiming FIS?

yes, it is due for renewal....but not sure which should I go for, to renew my FIS application, or to go on SWO and apply for Rent, as if youre on FIS, then rent supplement is not paid....

You wont be able to claim for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance as you will be working in excess of 3 days.

Advertisement