Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric engine

Options
  • 31-01-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi lads just wondering do many of ye use an electric engine when your fly fishing are the handy moving in to a spot without disturbing the fish to much the seem to have come down a bit in price but never see many lads with them .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

I haven't used one but have been toying with the idea of purchasing one for many seasons now (cash permitting).They really come into their own when used in awkward wind conditions for steadying the drift, moving silently to cover fish during a fall of spent or even as a auxillary engine when required. Minn kota are generally accepted as a well made electric engine and you need to decide what thrust in lbs you require depending on what you intend to use it for. Higher thrust if used for trolling etc.
    Hope this helps. What model were you considering Huntsman?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Yea well don't think I'd use it trolling as you said prob just steadying on a drift be handy .minn kota prob the one to have but but serious money I know you get what ya pay for but you would think maybe cheaper one do for the few min you would use it here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

agreed but you know what the say buy right and buy once, buy poorly and buy twice etc

Yea true I learnt that the hard way ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

They are very handy especially if your on your own. I wouldn't go out now with mine. I would recommend the minn Kota .

Make sure you get a good leisure battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I use a water snake, never any trouble, its much the same as the New Daiwa engines but i think some parts of the new Daiwa's are plastic. As mentioned above, spend money on a good battery and charger and you should have no trouble :)

Yea good engine and bad battery no good either thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I use one all the time. great for quiet/accurate manourvering and slow trolling. I would recommend one.

Found minn kota and the Rhino ones to be good. The daiwa ones are ok but the pitch on the propellors is not optimal and limits speed.

Advertisement