Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to apply for medicine in Ireland.

Options
  • 31-01-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,
    Am just looking for an opinion on the following dilemma. I recently completed my International Baccalaureate and received 31 points (413 Irish leaving cert points). I was predicted 41 points (about 600 points) but due to a series of genuinely frightening mishaps on behalf of my school in the UK I walked out with barely anything and my dream of studying medicine has been put on hold for two years as I've got my life back into some kind of order following that event.
    Now, however I am as determined as ever to do medicine but simply do not have the points required to get onto any course.
    Is there any option available to me that I might follow that would not involve going back to second-level education, which I have truly become sickened by.
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Would you consider going back to the UK and taking an access course? Perth College in Scotland runs one with a link to St Andrews. There are several others in the UK but this is the only one I'm familiar with. I'm not aware of anything similar in Ireland.

You could also take an undergraduate degree and apply for medicine as a graduate or apply as a mature student once you reach 23, but as far as I know most mature applicants also have degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Or you could try other EU states, Hungry or Cyprus for example. Ive read a few piecesabout Irish students going out there to do medicine or veterinary. Fantastic lifestyle also. Obviously depends on factors such as whetheror not you've commitments here etc.

Advertisement