Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy PC games Dublin city centre?

Options
  • 31-01-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,

I am having some trouble finding stores that still sell PC games in Dublin. The GameStop I was at didn't sell any PC Games, and the HMV sold some that were not new at all (this was on Henry Street).

Could you guys suggest me some locations in the centre to get PC games (as in physical boxes)?

Please don't answer by saying "order it online", cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Very few brick & mortar shops doing PC games. Your options may be limited to:
    - HMV (Yes very small selection)
    - Gamestop (Yes not all shops stock PC)
    - PCWorld (Suprisingly stock some games but may be older titles and could be expensive)
    - Xtravision (Used to stock some old/cheap games)

Alternatively your other option is CEX on Liffey Street. The games are all second hand but you might get find one or two goods games. Another second hand shop is GamesXchange on Talbot street but its one of those shops that has old/rare games from the DOS/Win95 era.

The brick & mortar market for PC Games is pretty much dead and while you have said to not say "order it online", you're probably going to have to if you want to get something you want. GAME was the last Brick & Mortar shop that stocked PC games at least to degree where you could go in and have a browse and you're game might be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tili

GAME was the last Brick & Mortar shop that stocked PC games at least to degree where you could go in and have a browse and you're game might be there.

Google tells me this is on Grafton Street. I don't remember seeing this store. Is it still there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Game have closed down, haven't they?

The GameStop in the Stephens Green centre has a small selection up beside the tills (when last I was there).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you might not want to hear it, but order it online.otherwise you (a) probably wont find anything and (b) will get shafted on price

deal with it or buy a console
    *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Extortionate pricing in stores, I'd try go to Steam or GMG online if I were you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

does Smyths do pc games any more, haven't been there in years?

online is really the only place these days for pc games

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shiminay wrote: »
    Game have closed down, haven't they?

The GameStop in the Stephens Green centre has a small selection up beside the tills (when last I was there).

They're still selling Tabula Rasa there. An MMORPG which had it's servers closed in 2009.

Honestly don't think there's any real alternative to buying online these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Gamestop and other shops have created a negative feedback loop surrounding PC games.

They treat their customers badly and overcharge for games, so PC users find better deals online, like Steam.
    Gamestop reduce the amount of PC games they stock and you can see where I'm going with this.

I think I personally kept my local GAME store from going under for about 5 years until they just let me down and got rid of their whole section. Look at them now. The only difference between GAME and Gamestop was that Gamestop was/is an absolutely huge franchise all over the world so they aren't going to die off anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tili

Thanks for the help guys. Sadly, I could not find the game I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

brianblaze wrote: »
    Extortionate pricing in stores, I'd try go to Steam or GMG online if I were you!

gamersgate.com is another alternative. I generally find prices on Steam on the high side but they do have frequent sales.

I presume your reason for wanting a bricks and mortar store is that you, like myself, prefer physical copies and manuals.

What are the best places to buy physical PC games online? I have used play.com in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Amazon.co.uk wouldn't go near play.com myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you have a visa debit there's no reason not to buy online. They just don't do PC games in stores anymore and that's only going to get worse. So you're going to have to find an online solution sooner or later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gamestop sell pc games online even if they don't always stock them in store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Be careful of any physical copy second hand PC games with any kind of internet access(at all), the license is probably used up in it and all you will have left is a useless disc with DRM locked game data content that you'll have to get around with a cracked launcher from someplace like the pirate bay(yes you can download only the launchers if you want to circumvent any DRM from your purchased games), and by then you will have been better off buying online.

Advertisement