Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu while pregant

Options
  • 31-01-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

Well the girlfriend has it pretty bad. She is gone past the 12 weeks stage and seems very weak at the moment and can't seem to shake the flu from herself. Any thoughts on what she can take to kick it or even energize herself?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ugh the poor thing.
    Paracetamol and hot ribena were what got me through it,on later pregnancies lemsip was good but ask the pharmacist about lemsip 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

I asked about paracetamol and the chemist said it was ok but only it , should mix lemsip with it . The doctor told her not to take any tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

thesultan wrote: »
    I asked about paracetamol and the chemist said it was ok but only it , should mix lemsip with it . The doctor told her not to take any tablets.

Do not mix lemsip with paracetamol! Lemsip already contains paracetamol so mixing them or taking them one after the other could lead to paracetamol overdose. If she wants to take both they need to be taken at least 4-6 hours apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

There is a flu outbreak at the moment with some very sick pregnant ladies in some of the Dublin hospitals. A friend who is a doc in one rang me to make sure I had my vaccine.

Paracetamol is fine in tablet form and as above do not take paracetamol and lemsip together as they both have paracetamol.

You can only have the plain lemsip too. None of the ones with extra ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

If it's the flu, I'd be very concerned if I were you - flu can be very dangerous in pregnancy. Did your girlfriend get the vaccine?

If it's a bad cold, she should ask the pharmacist about Lemsip etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had an awful dose about 2 weeks ago. Had thee flu jab so not sure if it was a bad cold or flu.
    I took the plain lemsip every 4 hours. And had some 7up. I was so weak and felt awful for a few days so took to the bed as much as i could with a sick toddler too.
    A steamy shower was great for helping with blocked nose and cough even though it took me ages to get the energy to get up.
    Also make sure she eats. I know i didnt feel like it at all but have to think of baba and it did help me feel a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd call a GP or call the maternity hospital if it is the flu. Difference between flu and cold is usually a temperature.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mod note

Just to be clear op no one suggested taking lemsip and paracetamol but do not take lemsip with out talking to a doctor or pharmacist 1st.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if is flu, get her to the hospital or GP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement