Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO level 8/7????

Options
  • 30-01-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey everybody I'm applying for university now on the CAO website and there are two categories to fill up. Level 7/6 and level 8.

Is the difference just that some courses are level 8 and some are level 7 or is level 8 applying directly for the 4th year?

I know computing at DIT is level 8 while software engineering in GMIT is level 7. Does that mean I'd put DIT in the level 8 category and GMIT in the level 7 category?

I'm a bit worried as I don't want to screw up anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

lvl 6/7 tend to be 3 year courses in ITs who will often give you the option of doing an extra year for a lvl 8. The universities tend to offer lvl 8s where you do 4 years for the honours degree.

Yes you would put whatever the course is even if you plan to do the extra year (if available). So say if you put the lvl 7 course in GMIT as your number 1 choice you could still end up with an honours degree equivelent to a lvl 8 course.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sean33

So if I am applying to 1st year DIT computing (level 8) I would put that in level 8 category? Where as for applying to 1st year in GMIT software engineering I would put that in the level 7 category?

I was just wondering because according to the NFQ ranking system Level 8 = 4th year of a degree course. I thought that category might be for people who want to switch over to another course for their final year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Sean33 wrote: »
    So if I am applying to 1st year DIT computing (level 8) I would put that in level 8 category? Where as for applying to 1st year in GMIT software engineering I would put that in the level 7 category?

Yup, pretty much ignores your intention on doing anything after the original course.
    Sean33 wrote: »
    I was just wondering because according to the NFQ ranking system Level 8 = 4th year of a degree course. I thought that category might be for people who want to switch over to another course for their final year.

The CAO sees it as a lvl 7 and is putting you into a lvl 7 course. Anything you do after those 3 years are done is up to you and the college be it work, the extra year for a lvl 8 or a masters.

I think getting the year to upgrade to lvl 8 from a lvl 7 course depends on numbers so there may be no guarentee of getting it but in the area your looking out I doubt it would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sean33

thanks for the help! really appreciate it.

Advertisement