Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with first time calf registration

Options
  • 30-01-2014 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

Right lads, its my first time I've tried to register the calves online. I entered the Animal details, that's no bother.

For the parental details area, whats the Genetic Dam Indicator? Is it if you use a segregate Dam?

For the Additional Genetic Details area, I filled out the calving survey but we used AI so we don't have the Sires Number and we are getting a error of incorrect length of animal number. We double checked everything and we are still getting the same response.

Bloody dept. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

Have registered calves on line for the last few years. Stock bull and AI. If stock bull simply do not fill in AI details and visa versa. If AI bull just enter AI code in the appropriate section.
    Generally it's as simple filling in the paper version.
    Have never used generic dam indicator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Yeah that's what I have done (I didn't use a segregated dam) and I got told I was missing a few numbers on the animal identification :\
    Looks like ill have to give the Depth a call in the morning
    Thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

corkoian wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I have done (I didn't use a segregated dam) and I got told I was missing a few numbers on the animal identification :\
    Looks like ill have to give the Depth a call in the morning
    Thanks anyway

Is it the dam number that's giving trouble or calves tag no?

I don't really know, it just says the animal identification

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

How do u register a sire when its a cow that was bought in calf and I don't know.......its not letting me complete the calf "additional info"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

mikeoh wrote: »
    How do u register a sire when its a cow that was bought in calf and I don't know.......its not letting me complete the calf "additional info"

I would usually put in an ai code for that breed of calf that she has . I dont see it making much difference when registering , only the breed comes up on the card anyhow .

For the calf from cow bought in I have just out in the bull breed. AI code is only required if known.
    This usually works fine.

Right i rang the department and was told to change browsers so now I am using Internet explorer and getting a different error

"Dam Animal Number must be entered, must be alphanumeric, and must be a valid length"

I have the number in exactly like it is on the passport and i have the right amount of characters??

So firstly, the calf registration number is entered.
    The first 9 characters are automatically selected eg. IE1234567
    Then you must enter the remaining numbers in the box provided eg. 70343
    Then gender and date of birth.

Next section is parental details.
    Dam animal number: here enter the last 4 digits of the cows ear tag number. The complete number is automatically selected by the computer.
    Alternatively enter the entire cow number eg. IE123456790345.
    Dam breed is also automatically selected.
    Sire breed is then entered. Eg: Charolais would be entered as CH.
    AI code is entered only if it is applicable.

Additional genetic information.
    Sure number is entered if it is a farm bull. If it's an AI sire this section is left blank.
    Pedigree name of calf, entered if applicable.
    Dead calf again entered if applicable.
    Calving survey, Just select from the drop down menu as appropriate.
    Select continue at the bottom and it takes you to the next screen where you select the box to say info is correct and press submit at the bottom.

Hopefully this will help.

So firstly, the calf registration number is entered.
    The first 9 characters are automatically selected eg. IE1234567
    Then you must enter the remaining numbers in the box provided eg. 70343
    Then gender and date of birth.

Next section is parental details.
    Dam animal number: here enter the last 4 digits of the cows ear tag number. The complete number is automatically selected by the computer.
    Alternatively enter the entire cow number eg. IE123456790345.
    Dam breed is also automatically selected.
    Sire breed is then entered. Eg: Charolais would be entered as CH.
    AI code is entered only if it is applicable.

Additional genetic information.
    Sure number is entered if it is a farm bull. If it's an AI sire this section is left blank.
    Pedigree name of calf, entered if applicable.
    Dead calf again entered if applicable.
    Calving survey, Just select from the drop down menu as appropriate.
    Select continue at the bottom and it takes you to the next screen where you select the box to say info is correct and press submit at the bottom.

Hopefully this will help.

That's exactly what I've down :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Maybe you need to change the browser again. I normally use Firefox but cannot use it for agfood, I have to use google chrome instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Genetic Dam Indicator:. when i thick this it asks for genetic dam number and then genetic dam breed. i can register without filling these in, but what are they for? will i miss out on any payments? is it a requirement for the new beef data genetic scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

found out the answer to my own question, its for embryo transplant. thanks anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Genetic Dam Indicator:. when i thick this it asks for genetic dam number and then genetic dam breed. i can register without filling these in, but what are they for? will i miss out on any payments? is it a requirement for the new beef data genetic scheme?
    its also on the white card that comes in tag box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭farmingmad10

where do you order the tags off for registering calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

where do you order the tags off for registering calves?
    www.mullinahonecoop.ie

Advertisement