Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT V DCU Postgrad Dip. in Accounting 2014/15

Options
  • 30-01-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,
    I got accepted by one of the big 4 and they have agreed to sponsor me to do a Postgrad dip. in Accounting as I didn't do Acc. in college.
    I have just been accepted to the DIT one and am awaiting reply from DCU.
    I was hoping some people could give me some insight into both of these courses along the following lines:

Is there a thesis involved in either? (Pretty sure there's not but just wanna be certain because I really don't wanna do one).

What size are the class groups? Are the subjects taught to tutorial size groups or lecture size groups?

Which one would be better recognised?

Are the subjects semesterised? Is there an exam on everything you've covered during each semester at the end of each semester? Or is there an exam on everything you've covered throughout the year at the end of the year?

Is there a lot of work to be done? Aside from lectures, tutorials etc., how long would you have spent doing homework and assignments?

Anybody else thinking of doing either?
    Would be really grateful if some people could give me some info on this! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Anybody else thinking of doing either?

I've applied to the DCU one. Awaiting the reply like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Hi All,
    I got accepted by one of the big 4 and they have agreed to sponsor me to do a Postgrad dip. in Accounting as I didn't do Acc. in college.
    I have just been accepted to the DIT one and am awaiting reply from DCU.
    I was hoping some people could give me some insight into both of these courses along the following lines:

Hey, I was in the same position as you last year. I eventually decided on doing the PDA in DCU. The main reason for this decision was the one week introductory accounting course that DCU offer, immediately preceding the commencement of the semester. This is an intensive week where you are taught all the basics of double-entry bookkeeping, with the assumption of no prior knowledge. DIT do not offer this.
    Is there a thesis involved in either? (Pretty sure there's not but just wanna be certain because I really don't wanna do one).

There is no thesis involved in the DCU PDA. A thesis is normally only involved in a masters (which is required to have a certain amount of credits during the summer). There is no summer semester in the DCU PDA.
    What size are the class groups? Are the subjects taught to tutorial size groups or lecture size groups?

This year there are 13 people doing the PDA, along with 5 doing the PDT (Postgraduate Diploma in Taxation). The PDTs are in about half the PDA modules. PDAs are not mixed in with any other courses, other than the PDTs. The lecture and tutorial groups are the same size. From speaking to lecturers, this is the smallest number of people who have done the PDA to date. Last year there was approximately 30, with around 60 doing the course at its peak in the late 00's.
    Which one would be better recognised?

Both DCU and DIT give you the same exemptions. I understand that DCU has taught the course for longer than DIT. The Accountancy firms are reluctant to give preference to any particular college. Based purely on anecdote, conjecture, and my own personal biases: DCU is preferred.
    Are the subjects semesterised? Is there an exam on everything you've covered during each semester at the end of each semester? Or is there an exam on everything you've covered throughout the year at the end of the year?

It's semi-semesterised. There are 3 semester-long modules per semester (Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, & Finance) and 2 year-long modules (Law & Taxation). This means there are 3 exams for the Winter semester and 5 exams for the Spring semester.
    Is there a lot of work to be done? Aside from lectures, tutorials etc., how long would you have spent doing homework and assignments?

There are no required assignments in the DCU PDA, everything is tested in the final year exam. However there are quite a bit of homework and tutorial work. While it is not "compulsory", it is expected that you do it. Realistically it needs to be done in order to keep up with the course - it moves fast. We got Friday's off 1st semester and we are getting them off in the semester coming. Last semester, I recall using the Fridays to do all the tutorial work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kingkenny2012

Thanks for the responses lads! Think i'm just gonna go with the DIT one on the basis of convenience. There doesn't seem to be any major difference in the two so I think I'll just go with the one I'm already accepted for!

Got a rejection.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Slippers wrote: »
    Got a rejection.

Do not fear. Make sure to apply for the other colleges that offer the course, like DIT or GMIT. DCU's loss can be someone else's gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 kingkenny2012

Hard luck! Try DIT and the rest sure.. Im sure they're all very similar anyways

Better news: got an unconditional offer from DIT today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abhir

Congratulations, Slippers.

I am going to apply for PostGrad in Accounting at DCU and DIT next week. I have just completed my Bachelor in Commerce from India.

I will be very grateful if you can share you experience of applying and give me some tips.

Many thanks

I found applying straightforward. I could do everthing online apart from getting a transcript from my university.

I can't really give good tips because I don't know why exactly DCU rejected me or DIT accepted me.

DCU said "Following a review by Faculty, you do not meet the academic entry requirements for the programme. Thank you for interest."

I think there was a place in the DIT application system for me to upload a copy of my CV. My CV lists all the degrees I've done and all of my jobs (all just days/weeks/months, nothing serious). It also has my GRE scores. I don't know what things they focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Do you have a 2.2 degree? Strange you were rejected.

• Advertisement

I have a mix of results at different levels so it depends how charitable someone wants to be in their interpretation.

BSc (level 7 because I didn't qualify for 4th Year) - Pass

Higher Diploma in Statistics (level 8 like an honours degree) - 2H1

MA Qualifier in Economics - GPA 4.17 out of 4.2 (normally 3.68 is a 1st but the Qualifier year is not a stand-alone course so no qualification)

GRE - quantitative reasoning 170/170 top 2% worldwide, verbal reasoning 170/170 top 1% worldwide

MA Economics - failed the dissertation = no degree. GPA 2.44 (Pass would be 2.00 to 2.47). GPA ex dissertation 3.31 (would be a 2H1).

(everthing except the GRE was in UCD if you know the GPA system there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Looks like DCU concentrated on the fact that you don't always seem to apply yourself (your pass BSc and the fact you failed your dissertation and didn't get your MA) and DIT concentrated on the fact that you seem to be a relatively bright person (GRE scores and results in the two higher diploma level courses).

Also that you've no previous interest in Accounting and maybe appear a bit lacking in direction might have been held against you.

Here's hoping the firms take the DIT approach in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abhir

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

There is a difference of around €4000 in fees between DIT and DCU; DCU fees being on the higher side.

If I am admitted to both do you think paying higher fees for DCU will be better considering that both courses are same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I wouldn't pay the extra, it's not like there is any prestige associated with a post grad diploma in accounting regardless of where it is from. The DCU course is also (AFAIK) completely exam based with no continuous assessment. DIT has about 20% continuous assessment, which can make a big difference in your outcome especially if you are not a great test taker.

Advertisement