Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galaxy S3 f*cked up after update

Options
  • 30-01-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭

I downloaded the android 4.3 update (the second version that was supposed to be fixed) and the phone is pretty much destroyed.
    Screen won't wake up alot of the time. Black screen also for incoming calls needing anythingup to 10 seconds to light up.
    Also when I wish to hang up, black screen again every time.
    I was advised by samsung to do a full reset to remove any fragments of old files from previous version of Android. This was of no help.
    Vodafone ate saying that I can send it off and have a flash update performed.
    Anyone experience this?
    Is this update likely to be worth my while. I hate sending phone away as it takes a good while to come back.
    It's it possible to walk into a repair company and have this done?
    I'm pissed off with it at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What about putting a custom ROM on it instead of the Samsung ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No idea how but if you could point me in the rough direction of some instructions, Im sure I can do it.
    Will google it now myself also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If you do a quick Google search on it, there are loads of guides. It's not hugely difficult but I believe it does void your warranty. And also there is a chance you good brick your phone, making it fit for the bin. If you follow the guides correctly though you'll be fine.

If the phone is 2+ years old, you are out of warranty anyway.

Another posted might post a decent guide for you. I no longer have an S3.

Suggest you post a link here to any guide you're looking at following and another poster might be able to help you out.

Remember there are different variations of the S3, so make sure you're following a guide for the International S3 (if that's the one you have).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

mickdw wrote: »
    No idea how but if you could point me in the rough direction of some instructions, Im sure I can do it.
    Will google it now myself also.

Have a look at the xda developers website. I went through a phase of flashing custom roms (and even official Samsung ones that were ahead of ones that the network were issuing) onto the S3 when I had one, and it's very straightforward.

Advertisement