Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to advertise rental property?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

hi there, my tenants gave notice today, where is the best place to advertise my property for rent? last time I advertised it was daft I used and it was 3 years ago, looked today and there are very few rentals advertised in my area! need to turn it around quick, oh its in Dublin 22, thanks in advance;-))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would normally say daft but their prices are beyond a joke at this stage IMO and demand is high in all parts of Dublin for rentals so now might be the time to try myhome or some other cheaper/free options. People are scouring the net for rentals so make the most of it and save a few quid on daft's prices.

There are few rentals in daft because there are just few rentals available, not because daft is a bad place to advertise. Don't forget the old tradtionals: note in local shops! Your tenants have to give you proper notice by the way. They can't just up and leave assuming they've been there a few years!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Www.adverts.ie

/site shill

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redcard

thanks guys, glad to here there's a need for rentals at moment, as my mortgage needs paying! tenants are foreign and went back to there country on hols and decided to stay!! by the lease they have to give me 6 weeks notice and there rent is due on 1st so hopefully it will go into my account. have there deposit but I don't know what condition they left my house in yet! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

The local shop and post office would be good too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

As a tenant Daft is still the first and main place I will check when looking for rentals. Its expensive compared to putting an ad in your local shop etc, but Id say its still the best way of getting your property advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

redcard wrote: »
    thanks guys, glad to here there's a need for rentals at moment, as my mortgage needs paying! tenants are foreign and went back to there country on hols and decided to stay!! by the lease they have to give me 6 weeks notice and there rent is due on 1st so hopefully it will go into my account. have there deposit but I don't know what condition they left my house in yet! :confused:
    I preferred Daft because they have the best search criteria.

"by the lease they have to give me 6 weeks notice"

That clause in your lease would be unenforceable. With a fixed term agreement there is no such thing as a notice period to vacate.

If it is a Part 4 tenancy then the notice period must comply with the RTA 2004 Act and any shorter or longer period may not be included in a lease (or verbally).

Thanks for that, we agreed the 6 weeks notice between us as the tennant wanted a flexable leese, this was no problem for me as they were good tenants, tbh as long as they gave me a mths notice I'm ok:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Definitely Daft. But be prepared, its a very different market to 3 years ago, you will probably be inundated with calls.

Which is why he doesn't really need to waste money on an expensive daft ad. Tenants will find him through cheap or free advertising.

murphaph wrote: »
    Which is why he doesn't really need to waste money on an expensive daft ad. Tenants will find him through cheap or free advertising.

Surely you would be happy to spend the €35 or whatever it costs to ensure that your ad is seen by as many people as possible (rather than the relatively tiny number of people who would see an ad in a local shop/free local paper etc), so that you could choose the best candidate possible for the tenancy?

• Advertisement

I'm going to use daft is say, live too far away from property to be advertising in local shops ect. Hope I get inundated with calls need to keep the money coming in! I'm a she not a he by the way:-)

djimi wrote: »
    Surely you would be happy to spend the €35 or whatever it costs to ensure that your ad is seen by as many people as possible (rather than the relatively tiny number of people who would see an ad in a local shop/free local paper etc), so that you could choose the best candidate possible for the tenancy?
    I'd sooner save the money and put it towards some other unavoidable expense but each to their own. Given the current demand a few well placed free ads will still deliver plenty of candidates IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Gumtree.ie also has a property section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Just stick a small post it note in the window and wait for the queue to form around the corner if you're going to accept RA make sure you set up barriers and have half a dozen security on stand-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

www.rent.ie is great, although i'd say almost all houses are advertised on myhome.ie, daft and rent now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Www.adverts.ie

/site shill

The Property section on adverts.ie IS daft.ie i.e it will cost ya.

OP, Post an ad on Donedeal. €3 ! And Gumtree. And anywhere else you can find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Whats all this about Daft being expensive? Have the posters actually used it?
    If you want to target social welfare applicants as your tenant put a notice in the post office. If you want to attract I.T. professionals who pay the rent on time use Daft or MYHOME.IE

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Whats all this about Daft being expensive? Have the posters actually used it?
    If you want to target social welfare applicants as your tenant put a notice in the post office. If you want to attract I.T. professionals who pay the rent on time use Daft or MYHOME.IE
    So if I use daft I'm guaranteed no problem tenants? That's great. Thanks for the tip! (Do they give you that guarantee in writing?)

By the way I was the one who suggest daft was too expensive these days (it uses its dominant player position in this way. The service it delivers is nothing special) and I in the same breath suggested using myhome as a cheaper alternative that given the tight supply will reach more or less the same audience as prospective tenants are having to search a lot harder these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

murphaph wrote: »
    So if I use daft I'm guaranteed no problem tenants? That's great. Thanks for the tip! (Do they give you that guarantee in writing?)

By the way I was the one who suggest daft was too expensive these days (it uses its dominant player position in this way. The service it delivers is nothing special) and I in the same breath suggested using myhome as a cheaper alternative that given the tight supply will reach more or less the same audience as prospective tenants are having to search a lot harder these days.

I never mentioned "guaranteed no problem" but if you think Daft rates are expensive I really don't know what type of property you have and what type of tenant you expect to get. Unless you are one of those mangy landlords who begrudge spending every penny. Maybe the free ad in the supermarket will reach your market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Carzone.ie

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I never mentioned "guaranteed no problem" but if you think Daft rates are expensive I really don't know what type of property you have and what type of tenant you expect to get. Unless you are one of those mangy landlords who begrudge spending every penny. Maybe the free ad in the supermarket will reach your market
    If you mean by "begrudge spending every penny", "carefully managing your finances" then guilty as charged. I also moved banks twice in the last few years to ensure I wasn't paying needless fees, but it's only a few bob so why bother, right? Same goes for insurance....every year I shop around and switch if needs be, but it's only a few bob, so why bother, right?

I believe quite firmly that if one looks after the pennies the pounds will look after themselves. If my property needs maintenance then that's an unavoidable expense and must be met, but using daft when there are free or cheap alternatives is an avoidable expense. Do you generally pay for avoidable expenses? It strikes me as Celtic Pyramid Scheme thinking to be honest...thought we were moving beyond that.

Youre paying for convenience, and you know that well. €35 ensures that your property is on the first website that the majority of tenants look at. If you choose to use an alternative form of advertisment then that is perfectly fine, and no less valid, but there is nothing wrong with people wanting to use sites like Daft if they want to hit the widest audience.

djimi wrote: »
    Youre paying for convenience, and you know that well. €35 ensures that your property is on the first website that the majority of tenants look at. If you choose to use an alternative form of advertisment then that is perfectly fine, and no less valid, but there is nothing wrong with people wanting to use sites like Daft if they want to hit the widest audience.
    You could take that reasoning to any extreme though. A full page ad in a national newspaper will hit a massive audience as well, but it costs too much, so you look at cheaper alternatives.

Advertisement