Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ETFs and Mutual Funds

• 29-01-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Not too sure if this is the right place but anyway..

I've been thinking about putting some money into a fund for some time now and I'm just wondering what peoples opinion are of them and if they've had any experience with them

I was looking at this one in particular; https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=3348&FundIntExt=INT#tab=1

I'd be wiling to put the money away for about five years maybe more and I'd be up for a decent amount of risk

Looking forward to what people have to say about them, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Broadly speaking mutual funds are considered the old expensive way to invest.
    ETFs are usually more cost effective.

Morningstar has a few good tools for finding and comparing funds.

Personally I've invested half my portfolio in ETFs, and those are split between:

EU Dividend
    UK Dividend
    Asia Dividend
    US Index
    US Dividend
    US Small Cap Growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Creeby

Thanks for the reply!

What kind of annual return could I expect if I invested say 50,000 euro?

Say for example the one i posted above;

If I were to invest 50,000 and buy @ 13104.64 that would mean I get 3.81 worth

and if after a year that grew to 16517.84, would that mean I have made 3413.2 on each share? (16517.84-131404.64)

and so that would mean my total profit (minus and tax and/or fees) would be 3413.2 x 3.81 = 13004.29?

I know I am dealing with rounded figures and decimals but is that the general jist of things or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

A popular disclaimer you'll see on every investment:
    "performance data shown represent past performance, which is not a guarantee of future results"
    That is what you can 'expect'.
    However, the calculations you've shown represent some form of reality.

Buy shares.
    Pay fees.
    Own shares.
    Get dividends.
    Pay tax.
    Sell shares.
    Pay fees.
    Pay CGT.
    Do the happy dance.

There are funds out there which guarantee a return, but only at a cost.
    From what I recall, BCP were offering a few such funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Creeby

I see, I see..

So basically I guess my question is (and forgive me if this is very broad);

What kind of average annual net return can I expect from 50,000 euro in a ETF that has say 7/10 risk and is left in for about five years?

Sorry again if this is too broad a question and thanks for the info thus far!

Advertisement