Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for a difficult TY Year Group.

Options
  • 29-01-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm looking for some ideas to help with improving the overall bonding, attitude and enthusiasm of my Transition Year group. Even though I've know my students since they were in 1st year this is my first year as a TY Co-Ordinator.

The school already have a fantastic TY programme in place. Modules, workshops, speakers and trips are constantly organised for students. They receive credits for participation and assignments. My problem is that the group are extremely disinterested and as a result I'm at my wits end trying to control their behavior, attitude and to help them to gel as a group. They are a particularly difficult group are hugely unmotivated, detached, cheeky, lethargic etc. Even the few "good" students are falling into the trap. It is an all girl group and there are major problems with bitching, Facebook etc. We have the usual policies in place and these are followed accordingly however I'm looking for something different as I've tried a lot of strategies with this particular crowd and nothing seems to have worked so far.

I know these girls can be very enthusiastic and caring but I can't seem to bring it out in them at the moment and feel that the situation is slipping away from me even further. I have teachers reporting to be everyday about their behavior. Just wondering if anyone has been or is in the same situation and if there are any ideas that you could throw my way. I'm not willing to give up on them! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Hey

I love working with TYs and have been involved with groups for the past four years. I know exactly what you mean; no matter what you put on there will be moaning. I find that one negative voice in the class can ruin it for a whole group.

I've found it very difficult this year with the ASTI dispute and I wasn't allowed to bring them out on trips,etc. I've resorted to group tasks, such as fundraisers (breakfast morning, cake sale). I also had them out of class designing their classrooms with the Principal acting as judge. Look at the community; we had students from a deaf school come in and work with our students and we had the TYs working with local grandparents on ICT skills. Anything that gets them working together and allows them to take ownership of a project.

This term the kids spend a lot of time organising the end of year show and graduation.

Have you tried Gaisce?
    Also, those adventure centres and bog hopping experiences are great for team building.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AirmidOg

Cheers Kronsich some good ideas there. I like the idea of working with the deaf school on sign language thanks!

Yeah I'm dragging them through Gaisce. We've done an overnight adventure trip and I'm planning another one for May. Also done the Log on Learn and fundraising. I've a few motivational speakers, workshops & trips coming up so hopefully I can get them going again.

There seems to be constant arguments among different "groups" that go back a few years. Do you find that it's just this time of year aswell that energy levels are low?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

This time of year is especially difficult. TY graduation is a long way off, the weather is too bad to bring them out and their teachers are focused on the exam class and their mocks.

I find the girls difficult. I always get word when the boys are causing trouble but the girls are far more subtle. We do junk couture and the girls absolutely love it. Essentially they bring in random scraps from home and make an outfit. They then showcase to all years at assembly. With the outfit they must produce a brochure of their research, procedure and final design. Therefore, if you put them into groups outside their circle of friends and assign roles, it should encourage mixing.

Just an idea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Junk kouture a big hit in our place too, more girls than boys, but not exclusively female. It might be too late for this year though - I'm not sure.

Paired reading with a local primary might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AirmidOg

That's a great idea thanks! Might try to incorporate that project into their schedule. I really appreciate your comments cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement