Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Hub questions

Options
  • 29-01-2014 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi there,

Thinking of switching to Sky broadband and I know they force you to use their Sky hub. I use some non standard\advanced features and was hoping if someone can answer a few questions for me before I take the plunge:

1. Does the hub have VPN pass through.
    2. Can you open ports on it?
    3. Does it have gigabit ports?
    4. Does it have dual wifi 2.4Hz + 5Hz ?
    5. Is it any good? Say compared to the Netgear WNDR3700?

Or if anyone has a link to a details tech spec it would be appreciated.

On the broadband service itself, do they block anything (other than TPB, KAT etc)? Do they block football streaming or movie streaming websites (as I'd imagine they'd have an extra incentive to do so)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I know nothing about the technical stuff but have had no problem streaming anything including sports
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can use your own modem/router if you want. Easy enough to get the sky logins for DSL. Google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

You can use your own modem/router if you want. Easy enough to get the sky logins for DSL. Google is your friend.

That is plan B :) It may not be necessary if the Hub is up to standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Follow this link to get the username and password from the Sky hub.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/51163-how-get-username-password-sky-hub-sr101.html

You then put the username and password into your new router's configuration page. I did it 10 months ago and was using my Eircom router with Sky.

Ask your questions on there too, they'd know more about the hub than anyone.

Off the top of my head, it's not gigabit and it's 2.4Ghz only.

• Advertisement

I'd be a little concerned about using my own router. If they clamp down on it (which they can easily do as it's a breach of contract) then I'm left with a crappy router that doesn't meet my needs. 10/100 ports and 2.4GHz wireless is already a no for me. Very unlikely to have VPN pass through if they don't even have what would be considered standard ports and wifi by todays standards.

Ah well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

wrt40 wrote: »
    I'd be a little concerned about using my own router. If they clamp down on it (which they can easily do as it's a breach of contract) then I'm left with a crappy router that doesn't meet my needs. 10/100 ports and 2.4GHz wireless is already a no for me. Very unlikely to have VPN pass through if they don't even have what would be considered standard ports and wifi by todays standards.

Ah well.

If you choose to use your own router, then they'll refuse to help you if your broadband is experiencing problems - that's all they do if you breach the contract. I'm not sure what you mean by "clamp down", they can't punish you or anything and you can just plug your hub back in again straight away.

I can plug my hub in now and it would work straight away.

If your broadband is fine for a month or so, then just use your own router.

Yeah you're right. Unlikely that I'll need them and on the rare occasion just plug the hub back in. right, think I'm in business so.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Commander Shepard

It does have 2.4 and 5

It does have 2.4 and 5

I don't think so...

• Advertisement
Advertisement