Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid leave/ Sick

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering what would happen in the following situation....

If i was to take 3 months unpaid leave(after my maternity) is it possisle to claim sick for these 3 months and if i was to claim the sick is it possible for my employers to know this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Would you be sick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering what would happen in the following situation....

If i was to take 3 months unpaid leave(after my maternity) is it possisle to claim sick for these 3 months and if i was to claim the sick is it possible for my employers to know this?
    No.
    Either you are on unpaid maternity leave, or you are applying for Illness Benefit from DSP.One or the other.
    You can only apply for illness benefit if you are medically certified as unfit for work

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

Seeing as illness benefit is taxable, then the employer will be notified in order to make adjustments via PAYE (where necessary).

If you wish to take unpaid leave from your job, you may not claim illness benefit. If you are unable to work due to injury or illness, then you may.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

What would happen if i were to get sick while on unpaid leave? like say the first day?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

What would happen if i were to get sick while on unpaid leave? like say the first day?

Then you notify your employer that you are no longer on unpaid leave, but on sick leave, and claim illness benefit accordingly.

If you try chancing your arm and not notifying your employer, then as mentioned above, the DSP will contact your employer to see if there is any reconciliation to be made for tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You would go and see your GP.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement