Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bayonet identity?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

gavdolfini wrote: »
    This bayonet been in the family a long time, family history would originate close to Dublin city. Both great grand fathers in world war, with one of them also at boar war and crimean. Wondering what exactly this one is. Similar to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-very-rare-military-sword-scimitar-bayonet-from-rifle-Russo-Turkish-War-/131086244139

Thanks

01mt.jpg

zvnc.jpg

edit: found it
    french 1866 chassepot. .

Could well be, BUT, this style of bayonet, called a yataghan, was also found in British service and fitted to the Enfield Pattern 49 and 53 musket and rifled musket, as well as the later Snider and EVEN later to the first Martini-Henry rifles.

I have one that fits my .58cal sergeant's carbine - a very short version of the Enfield Pattern 53 rifled musket.

This style of bayonet, more correctly called a sabre bayonet, saw extensive use in the American Civil War, and was fitted to the many hundreds of thousands of Enfields that were supplied by the British to both sides of that conflict.

As it is part of your family history, please don't sell it.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

Hi Tac thank you for the informative info, very interesting. Afaik neither my grandfathers owned this as my father has informed me, not sure of how he came to own it. Its not something he would sell, unless it was worth a few k :p. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

You are very welcome, and, if I'm allowed to say it [I'm a plastic paddy] welcome to the forum, as well.

tac

Advertisement