Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA or B&Q for home living room flooring

Options
  • 28-01-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm considering reflooring my living room in my apartment, its quite small so it would be an easy enough to manage job.

first off should I be shopping in IKEA or B&Q? I've heard IKEA have their own kits for flooring so might make things alot easier.

secondly what thickness should I be looking for?, I've heard of people dropping keys on the not so thick boards (4mm) and them cracking, is it worth spending the extra bit for a decent floorboard if so how thick?

any other advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would go to other flooring stores, more personal advice and better bargain to be got too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't remember names now but got wood for flooring from someone in Mayo for 150 and someone else to lay it down for similar price.
    So, in all 300 for a small living room done nicely.

Do shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If it's only a small area I'd go with the thickest you can afford (preferably 10mm or higher). It'll feel and sound more solid underfoot and it will have a better tongue and groove which should make it easier to fit and less likely to come apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Go laminate. 8mm as a minimum. V-Groove. Plenty of choice, much more so than semi-solid & solid counterparts. Far cheaper and much tougher, which is a bonus for the bulk of us who don't look after our flooring all that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Try Noyeks them do high quality laminate flooring 8 to 16 mm as far as I know

http://noyeks.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

If it is an apartment block you might have to check with the management agency to see what type of flooring is permitted. In some apartment blocks, wooden, laminate or tiled flooring have to have a certain amount of acoustic insulation.

Advertisement