Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaptations of wild Animals

Options
  • 28-01-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭

I have to do a college project about an animal that has "Strategically adapted itself to life in the wild". I know very little about wildlife so I thought people here might be able to give me some ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Maybe pick an animal that's well camoflauged - that being its strategic adaptation to life in the wild and stopping it getting eaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I have to do a college project about an animal that has "Strategically adapted itself to life in the wild". I know very little about wildlife so I thought people here might be able to give me some ideas.

a good idea might be the reticulated python.
    there is many sub species of them, some grow to 20ft + some grow to 6ft.
    diff locals of retics have diff coulours and diff sizes
    its a very under studyed area. you could get alot of info from alot of people online. people with credits behind them

i could pm you contacts if you wish???

the good thing about them is there is only 4/5 recognised subspecies but infact there is 15/20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Urban vs rural birds. There are a number of species where there is significant difference in colour depending on where they live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

sounds like an absolutely terrible assignment designed by a 'lecturer' who probably knows nothing about zoology.

but to help you out, i think you could write up cicadas and it will blow him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Russellynx wrote: »
    sounds like an absolutely terrible assignment designed by a 'lecturer' who probably knows nothing about zoology.

but to help you out, i think you could write up cicadas and it will blow him away.

It's for a business management module so yes you would be correct. I think it's just a fairly straightforward one to get us prepared for more challenging ones to come.

• Advertisement

has the project come and gone or are you still doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Russellynx wrote: »
    has the project come and gone or are you still doing it?

No I've got another week. I've made a start with the reticulated python as thee seems to be lots of info out there and there are various ways it has adapted.

ok cool good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

ryanf1 wrote: »
    No I've got another week. I've made a start with the reticulated python as thee seems to be lots of info out there and there are various ways it has adapted.

A good one would be the Burmese.
    From it's homeland to pet to pest.

Advertisement