Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insulated last year-damp patches appearing on ceilings.

Options
  • 28-01-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this. My house was built in the 80s. A four bed bungalow. We bought it a couple of years ago. We've put in double glazing,bead insulation in the outer walls, attic was insulated last year. Each room has a wall vent.
    In the past few months there has been lots of black patches appearing on the ceiling of all the rooms. The patches are to the outer edges of the rooms,as if under the eaves. I am wondering if this could be caused by the insulation being packed too tightly in to the edges of the attic? I've not been able to look as I can't climb around there anymore,I don't know where the wooden beams are and don't want to come through the ceiling!
    There was always some patches in the bathroom but now it's in every room and is coming quite fast. Just hoping there might be some advice to be had here,thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Was it bonded beads or standard beads used in the walls?
    Is the attic insulation packed tightly into the eaves area or can you see an air gap between the rafters to the eaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not sure what type of bead was used,looks just like grey polystyrene if that helps? I can't see if the insulation is packed in to the eaves area at all. I'm thinking of calling the company who put it in and pleading to their good side to come back and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MCD.

I wouldn't be pleading at all.

Based on what you have said they appear to have made a pigs mickey of the whole thing.

I would contact an alternative company to carry out an assessment of the works. If the work is deemed to be negligent I would be contacting the original company and requesting that they make good their shoddy work and all damage which has occurred a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this. My house was built in the 80s. A four bed bungalow. We bought it a couple of years ago. We've put in double glazing,bead insulation in the outer walls, attic was insulated last year. Each room has a wall vent.
    In the past few months there has been lots of black patches appearing on the ceiling of all the rooms. The patches are to the outer edges of the rooms,as if under the eaves. I am wondering if this could be caused by the insulation being packed too tightly in to the edges of the attic? I've not been able to look as I can't climb around there anymore,I don't know where the wooden beams are and don't want to come through the ceiling!
    There was always some patches in the bathroom but now it's in every room and is coming quite fast. Just hoping there might be some advice to be had here,thanks in advance!

Without doing a full inspection, the following;
    You've, more than likely got thermal bridging at the wall/ceiling junction causing very localised cold surfaces at the edge of the ceiling. This colder surface is causing the moisture in the internal air to condense (continually) giving a readily available source of moisture for mould to thrive.
    The solution is to ensure this thermal bridge is eliminated by redoing the insulation at this junction such that all of the ceiling and wall plate are insulated to the same degree. Now this can be quite difficult to achieve in reality at space is very confined in this area.
    Alternatively you may need to reduce your moisture load, improve the heating (heating on for longer periods and not allowing the house cool down too much) and improve your ventilation (there are better ways to ventilate than the standard "hole in the wall").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

+1 to MicktheMan, but also check to see if bonded bead was used. If it wasn't, many cases of standard beads have surfaced where the bead settles within the cavity & allows a cold spot around the perimeter of external walls & below windows.

Your first port of call is with the installation company. Most are very obliging. Failing that, if you received SEAI grant assistance, you can contact them & request an audit/inspection of the grant aided works. If any failings of the grant requirements, they will be instructed to rectify the issues identified by SEAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DataHoover

MicktheMan wrote: »
    (there are better ways to ventilate than the standard "hole in the wall").

Please name a few. Have tried dehumidifier.

DataHoover wrote: »
    Please name a few. Have tried dehumidifier.

MEV
    DCV
    MVHR

a dehumidifier is not a ventilation method.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    MEV
    DCV
    MVHR

MEV - Mechanical Extract Ventilation
    DCV - Demand Controlled Ventilation
    So these 2 are like a fan in the bathroom, right?

MVHR - Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery
    And this one we'll need to flatted the house and rebuild, right?

MEV - Mechanical Extract Ventilation
    DCV - Demand Controlled Ventilation
    So these 2 are like a fan in the bathroom, right?

Yes, the same way as a motor car and an airplane are like a bicycle.

MVHR - Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery
    And this one we'll need to flatted the house and rebuild, right?

Flatten / rebuild if you like.:rolleyes:
    MVHR can be retrofitted to most dwellings assuming one knows what they are at.

• Advertisement

Thanks MicktheMan! Waiting for call back re survey now.

Advertisement