Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will a landlord wait for deposit?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I went to a viewing last night in D1 and got offered the place this morning. The thing is I've another viewing to go to in D8 tomorrow night. I told the D8 agent that I had been offered a place, I was hoping that he would be able to get me in for a viewing today. Unfortunately he can't show me the place today but he asked me to send him on my details. He said it would be worth my while going to the viewing tomorrow. He told me to get there early and he also said that he had narrowed down the list of people he was thinking of choosing and I was on that list.

Do you think the first people will tell me where to go if i don't sign the lease by tomorrow?

The first place is €100 p/m more expensive and is in a rough enough area (as in north inner city). The second place is near the Guinness storehouse / Kilmainham and is somewhere I'd really love to live.

On one hand I think I'm taking the first offer for granted but then maybe you shouldn't go straight away for the first thing that's offered to you?

Also the place I've been offered is not available to move into until the end of Feb, and it is a letting agent who I am in contact with, so its not as if its a desperate landlord who wants the deposit asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the second EA has you on his shortlist yet it sounds like he has never met you ....

hes doing whatever he can to drum up business for his client. If I was a LL I would expect a deposit in under 48 hours. You can try hedge your bets for sure but realize there is a chance you may lose both places.

its your call tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

D3PO wrote: »
    the second EA has you on his shortlist yet it sounds like he has never met you ....

hes doing whatever he can to drum up business for his client. If I was a LL I would expect a deposit in under 48 hours. You can try hedge your bets for sure but realize there is a chance you may lose both places.

its your call tbh.

I know what you mean although when I booked the viewing he asked me a number of questions like who I would be moving in with and whether I was working etc so he wasn't going on absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ninjabox wrote: »

The first place is €100 p/m more expensive and is in a rough enough area (as in north inner city). The second place is near the Guinness storehouse / Kilmainham and is somewhere I'd really love to live.

I work close to there and it is very rough during the day and worse at night.

Ray Palmer wrote: »

But compared with the area around Mountjoy Square would you not say it is a safer bet? My boyfriend works near Mountjoy Square and has been attacked, so I would be worried about him even though he can walk to work from the first place. The second place he would have to get the bus but still maybe its slightly safer that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Kilmainham is not rough by any stretch of the imagination

(Though is also quite far from Guinness, so not sure where the OP means)

• Advertisement

Kilmainham is not rough by any stretch of the imagination

(Though is also quite far from Guinness, so not sure where the OP means)

OK sorry the exact location is Marrowbone lane, so its not in Kilmainham (the place I'd really love to live) but it is much closer than the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

D3PO wrote: »

its your call tbh.

Defer your decision until you have seen the other place tomorrow.
    LL has only offered you first place this morning, that and between viewing other place leaves plenty of time for you to come to a conclusion and make a good decision.

Don't tell LL that you are viewing other place.

If LL one asks to seal the deal and make payment for deposit, tell him that you won't be able to do that until after tomorrow, but don't get into more details. None of his business.

Defer your decision until you have seen the other place tomorrow.
    LL has only offered you first place this morning, that and between viewing other place leaves plenty of time for you to come to a conclusion and make a good decision.

Don't tell LL that you are viewing other place.

If LL one asks to seal the deal and make payment for deposit, tell him that you won't be able to do that until after tomorrow, but don't get into more details. None of his business.

Yes I've asked two people I know who are landlords and they've said the same thing as you so I think I'll risk it.

Advertisement