Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOE's next big thing dedicated to Star Wars Galaxies fans

Options
  • 28-01-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Over on RockPaperShotgun, there's an article about SOE's plan for a new MMO. Sadly, doesn't seem like it'll be an official Star Wars game, but from what they say, it seems they want it to be Star Wars Galaxies 2 in all but name.

The plan is to go with a universe that can be lived in as well as adventured in. If any other company was involved, I'd probably assume they're talking up their latest WoW clone. But with how Everquest Next and Landmark are coming along, it gives me hope that it could fill the void left by Star Wars Galaxies (RIP).

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/28/soes-next-game-dedicated-to-star-wars-galaxies-fans/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very odd they're making this with EQN coming out maybe end of this year.
    Probably got the go ahead since the Forgelight engine seems to be a success and they don't want to waste time before technology moves beyond it.
    SOE are looking pretty strong with their MMO lineup, their subscription changes make it even more worthwhile to be a subscriber

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well it makes sense; they got a FPS MMO (Planetside 2), a fantasy MMO (Everquest next as they are shutting down Vanguard, Everquest 2 and the Magic thingy this summer and probably EQ1 next year) and then a SciFi MMO and with the universal access to all they can pretty much be assured you like at least one of the styles and probably try the others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

GIven that TOR isn't doing as well as was predicted (and so quick to go FTP says a lot), and with the change in hands of the StarWars franchise, it would be nice - however unlikely - that Disney would see there being room for two StarWars MMOs given they both fill very different niches.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lemming wrote: »
    GIven that TOR isn't doing as well as was predicted (and so quick to go FTP says a lot), and with the change in hands of the StarWars franchise, it would be nice - however unlikely - that Disney would see there being room for two StarWars MMOs given they both fill very different niches.
    I don't want to admit it, in case it gets my hopes up, but I was thinking that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

humanji wrote: »
    I don't want to admit it, in case it gets my hopes up, but I was thinking that too.
    I honestly don't think SoE wants to do Star Wars again; there are to much money handed over and far to much hand tying involved (and fan nerd cries of "this is not right because in the obscure paragraph it stated that...") for it to be worth it. By going in a spirtual successor role instead they can create their own IP to build on for the future rather then being forced down a certain route and be held at gun point over the IP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I thought there was a teaser video up on youtube alright - frankie1080p had it as his most anticipated game of this year

will see if I can find it

/edit ah sorry, was battlefront..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

It has been confirmed as not being a star wars mmo, just as something with gameplay very similar to swg, will grab a link later when i get out of work.

Advertisement