Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loreto Avenue, Rathfarnham - Good place to buy???

Options
  • 28-01-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, there is currently a house for sale in Loreto Avenue in Rathfarnham it seems in good nick, by the pictures I would imagine you could move in right away.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/62-loreto-avenue-rathfarnham-dublin-14/2729579
    But it is in a ex council area and I have heard stories (not from reliable sources) that it's not that great an area.I would be moving there with a 9 year old boy. I wouldn't want him to start mixing with kids that could get him into trouble in the future.
    Anyway would anyone have more information on whether this is an okay area for kids and is the €295K price good?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Frogface wrote: »
    Hi, there is currently a house for sale in Loreto Avenue in Rathfarnham it seems in good nick, by the pictures I would imagine you could move in right away.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/62-loreto-avenue-rathfarnham-dublin-14/2729579
    But it is in a ex council area and I have heard stories (not from reliable sources) that it's not that great an area.I would be moving there with a 9 year old boy. I wouldn't want him to start mixing with kids that could get him into trouble in the future.
    Anyway would anyone have more information on whether this is an okay area for kids and is the €295K price good?

It's working class, but sure it's in Rathfarnham.... you're steps away from very well heeled neighbourhoods, so I'd imagine you'd be fine...

It's not as nice as the Butterfield area IMO, but I wouldn't dread living there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Frogface wrote: »

Maybe technically Rathfarnham but that's really Nutgrove which IMO wouldn't be a great area. I wouldn't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A mate of mine bought a house around there a couple of years ago, he has never had any trouble and all the neighbours he tells me are very friendly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Maybe technically Rathfarnham but that's really Nutgrove which IMO wouldn't be a great area. I wouldn't live there.

Which shows how little you know about the area.

It's a well settled area convenient to many facilities. Decent people, many who have bought in to the area or have bought the family home from the council and have done great refurbishments. Look at the photographs of the refurb. That's not the work of people with no pride in their neighbourhood.
    As regards rearing children it's up to very family to look after their children and see that they keep out of trouble.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I live nearby in one of the more "well heeled neighbourhoods" as it was put and would have no hesitation living on Loreto Avenue. Good houses, very settled area, good schools nearby (Educate Together on your doorstep for example) etc etc. I know some of the people that live there (not very well though) and they are good people. There's a lot of older people living there and really, it's a nice area. I wouldn't have anything bad to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems quite pleasant- and it has a reasonable BER, which would indicate its well insulated. Personal thoughts- I hate those 'lets chuck stones down' front gardens. Also- 300k for a thousand square feet- do you consider that value for money? As houses go- it is quite small- more a better sized apartment size....?

It is decorated in a very modern fashion- and has a nice extension and rear garden (with what looks suspiciously like an olive tree in it). Decor is bang up to date- bedrooms a bit minimalistic- but pleasant, and it even has a remarkably tidy children's play room.

I can't see a lot wrong with it- its a nice house- its small and they have maximised the living space using every possible trick in the book- but you could move into it, and love it.

My only two concerns- price and size. Everything else seems to have its box ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Loretto is fine.
    Stones throw away from settled travelers on the hill behind nutgrove sc.
    Can be an issue for some...
    You will get gangs hanging around the SC and surrounds from the Mountain View side of Nutgrove SC.
    Location wise for facilities, transport, commute, schools etc. it would be hard to beat. Marlay/Bushy, Dundrum SC, Bus Routes, UCD and so on.
    You would run the risk of him mixing with dodgy kids but sure you could get that anywhere to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jinny5586

Bought here last year. For years thought it would be dodge and avoided even looking but shouldnt have done. Really nice estate, nice people. Very quiet and i havent heard or seen any trouble. Dont let "ex council" tag put you off. Most are owner occupied now with a mix of young and old in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nurik922

Hi everyone. planning to buy in this area - did anything change? i am getting a lot of friends telling me that area is dodgy and having a son who is going to attend school from next year makes decision even tougher for me since I am afraid of him getting exposure at some point to those dodgy kids that may live in that area

Reading this topic gave me more confidence, but still would like to hear regarding what is going on in that area nowadays.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

nurik922 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. planning to buy in this area - did anything change? i am getting a lot of friends telling me that area is dodgy and having a son who is going to attend school from next year makes decision even tougher for me since I am afraid of him getting exposure at some point to those dodgy kids that may live in that area

Reading this topic gave me more confidence, but still would like to hear regarding what is going on in that area nowadays.

Thanks

Get yourself up there (possibly after the lockdown ;) ) at night and see what the area is like. Talk to the local shop security guard and the manager and if there is a pharmacy they can be great in telling you about an area.

The thing about friends telling you about an area is they generally haven't lived in the area or the surrounds. They might be right but you should probably listen more to the ones who are local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its fine. No Templeogue but absolutely fine. Send the kid to RETNS and not the Good Shepherd and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Another query on ex council housing. Most of the houses in Loreto are either bought out by family members or by others who bought it when the original residents died ( and who had bought it from the Council)
    Look at any of them which have been renovated, extended and you will see the pride people take in them. There are plenty of sports clubs, good schools, faciluties in the area. Get your child involved in some of them and into one of the good local schools and they will be fine.

Thanks for recommendations

Been there few times recently, seems really a nice place. not as posh as other parts of Rfarm but definitely a good area.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Thanks
    20/30 or 40 years ago, I would have said 'stay clear' not now it's quieter than a cemetery at night. I live a few hundred metres away in Mountainview (Holylands) and even that place is like a convent compared to when i moved up in the 70's

Tomaldo wrote: »
    20/30 or 40 years ago, I would have said 'stay clear' not now it's quieter than a cemetery at night. I live a few hundred metres away in Mountainview (Holylands) and even that place is like a convent compared to when i moved up in the 70's

Same applies to nutgrove crescent? I presume they just stay there to themselves and don't bother adjacent areas?

Same applies to nutgrove crescent? I presume they just stay there to themselves and don't bother adjacent areas?

where is nutgrove crescent, never heard of it, I have a relation on Loreto Crescent, she hasn't had many problems

where is nutgrove crescent, never heard of it, I have a relation on Loreto Crescent, she hasn't had many problems

Behind shopping centre, travellers halting site.

Behind shopping centre, travellers halting site.
    oh yeah, about half dozen bungalows, never did me any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ED E wrote: »
    Its fine. No Templeogue but absolutely fine. Send the kid to RETNS and not the Good Shepherd and you'll be fine.

Good Sheperd is a grand school, wife’s nephews and niece go there and we almost sent out kid there after going to the open day but went with one that was a bit closer to us. It was very much a fall back for us if we hadn’t of gotten elsewhere but after seeing how well the kids we know are doing and being in the school and meeting staff we’d have been happy to go with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is it, places bad reps stay long after the place has settled down, the wife is from Holylands and I’m down that way a few times a week and it’s a grand spot, I’d be happy to live there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement