Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting a Job Instead of being Laid Off?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I hear a lot of conflicting reports and was wondering if people knew what the story was with getting JA or JB and rent allowance if you quit your job instead of losing it? Some people say its reduced, others say wait 3 months for any money, I cant seem to get a straight answer.

Basically Ive been in a full time job I hate for 3 years and would love to quit and take some time off to look for one that suits my interests or even build up some experience relevant to my science degrees with a Jobsbridge or something, the job Im in at the minute is relevant but a monkey could do it and its bordering on soul destroying, I need a change and I know people say you should look for a job while you're working but thats impossible as far as Im concerned, there arent enough hours in the day.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of 7 consecutive days to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit (casual workers and retained firefighters with no other employment are exempt from this rule). This means that you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 4 days out of 7 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:
    • Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html
    Rent allowance is at the discretion of the CWO,you would need to talk to your local cwo to clarify the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I saw that thanks, why does it say "May be disqualified" though? Surely theres a definitive rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MP22, do you know how they tell whether you quit or whether you were fired? Thats what I made the thread to ask and then forgot sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

Thargor wrote: »
    MP22, do you know how they tell whether you quit or whether you were fired? Thats what I made the thread to ask and then forgot sorry...

They can tell because if you're made redundant you'll have an RP50. If you don't then they'll probably contact your previous employer to ask his side of the story as to why you were let go, seeing as you were with the company for more than two years and weren't made redundant.

Advertisement