Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a child as a lone parent

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I just wanted to see what a) people think, and b) if anyone has any experience in this.

I have been thinking for quite some time now about the possibility in the future of adopting a child. Due to certain things which have happened to me in the past I do not seek a relationship or partner of any kind.

In August I will be travelling to Australia for a year, maybe two depending, when my time is up there, I plan to go to Canada for a year.

When I come back, I plan on settling down, settling down in the matter of finding where I want to live and buying a house.

I plan to do all of this alone, I love children, I always have and always will, I am the eldest of four boys and am a role model for my younger brothers.

I am currently under thirty, but when I return from Australia I will be thirty-one.

Some time after buy my house, I will be thinking about children, there has never been a time in my mind where I have not wanted a child.

So, I am looking for advice on adopting a child as a lone parent, I know very well that adopting in Ireland is difficult enough, but as a lone parent it must be next to impossible (speculation only). My own family are very tight knit and close, as well as my close friends.

Is it possible to adopt as a lone parent? And a male at that?

Note: I am well aware of the commitment and do not wish to be told I am still young and I need to think about it, I am specifically looking for information on the difficulty of adopting a child as a lone Father.

Many thank in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod
    Hi OP, I have moved your thread to this forum as I feel you'll get better advice here.

Regards,
    Sauve.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

Sauve wrote: »
    Mod
    Hi OP, I have moved your thread to this forum as I feel you'll get better advice here.

Regards,
    Sauve.

I was actually looking for threads titled "family" but couldn't find any, so thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/adoption_and_fostering/adopting_a_child.html

In Ireland, in order to adopt a child, you must be at least 21 years of age and resident in the State. Where the child is being adopted by a married couple and one of them is the mother or father or a relative of the child, only one of them must have attained the age of 21 years.

The following persons are eligible to adopt:

A married couple living together,
    A married person alone. The other spouse's consent to adopt must be obtained unless the couple is living apart and separated under a court decree or a deed of separation, or the other spouse has deserted the prospective adoptive parent or the other spouse's conduct has resulted in the prospective adoptive parent, with just cause, leaving the other spouse.
    The mother, father or relative of the child (relative meaning a grandparent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt of the child and/or the spouse of any such person, the relationship to the child being traced through the mother or the father);
    A widow or widower
    A sole applicant who is not in one of the categories listed above may only adopt where the Adoption Authority is satisfied that, in the particular circumstances of the case, it is desirable. It is not possible for two unmarried persons to adopt jointly.
    There are no legal upper age limits for adopting parents, but most adoption agencies apply their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Grayfoxy wrote: »
    Is it possible to adopt as a loan parent? And a male at that?

Note: I am well aware of the commitment and do not wish to be told I am still young and I need to think about it, I am specifically looking for information on the difficulty of adopting a child as a loan Father.

Many thank in advance.

It is possible. There was a single male who fairly recently was told he couldn't adopt so he took a test case in the courts and won. So that obstacle is gone. You will have to go through the same process as any other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Had a quick google. 16 kids were adopted by non-relatives in 2012. You'll be looking at adopting from abroad. Do a quick google and read the independent article. It'll give some idea what you'll be looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am moving this to Adoption for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

International Adoption Ireland is a good source of information on International Adoption.

www.iaaireland.org

Advertisement