Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!non-eu marry Irish national in Ireland

Options
  • 28-01-2014 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Really need advice on this.
    I am Chinese national used to live in Ireland on student visa for quite few years. I was in a relationship with an Irish man for a few months but broke up. we still kept in touch for 2 years and we finally got back together but my visa expired a year ago and i came back to China. I went back to Ireland on tourist visa a few months ago to visit him and we really got serious about future. we planned to get married so we dont have to be apart anymore. But since my tourit visa only valid for 90 days and i didnt want to rish anything to against the law so i came back to China after 90 days.

We plan to get married either in China or Ireland. He thinks it better to get married in Ireland because if we marry in China it will take up to a year to get spouse visa to come back to Ireland.

First question is would it be a risk if i apply for a tourist visa again to go back to Ireland to get married? will it be better if i tell the Irish embassy in China that im going to get married in Ireland when applying for tourist visa? will them inspect our relationship history?

Second question is will GNIB grant me visa extension if the registration date is after my visa expiry date?

Third Question is since I am in China at the moment, do both of us have to go to the marriage registration office in Ireland to notify them and get a registration date in person or my boyfriend can go on behalf of us?

Last question is do i have to leave the state to apply for spouse visa in China after marriage or I can go to GNIB in Ireland applying for spouse visa?

Thanks a millon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi, I think it would be covered here
    http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/miscwed.htm
    See "Marriage in Ireland to a non-EU Citizen"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dilema14

biko wrote: »
    Hi, I think it would be covered here
    http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/miscwed.htm
    See "Marriage in Ireland to a non-EU Citizen"

Hi Biko,

Thank you so much for the link which is very helpful.

Just i saw in another official website saying that i must return to home country after getting married. a bit confusing about the information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you google www.google.com/search?q=non-eu+marriage+site:boards.ie
    it will bring up more threads so hopefully someone else have already done it and posted their experience.

Good luck and congrats btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

dilema14 wrote: »
    He thinks it better to get married in Ireland because if we marry in China it will take up to a year to get spouse visa to come back to Ireland.

What is this based on?
    dilema14 wrote: »
    Third Question is since I am in China at the moment, do both of us have to go to the marriage registration office in Ireland to notify them and get a registration date in person or my boyfriend can go on behalf of us?

You need to give 90 days notice, but as far as I know if you are out of the country you may not have to do it in person.
    It's of course easier for you to marry in China in terms of processes, but maybe if you think you will be in Ireland long-term an Irish cert might be easier.
    (You can't marry in Ireland if you are already married in China)

Advertisement