Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to start with flying scale aircraft?

Options
  • 28-01-2014 12:19am
    Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So the story is I have a 4acer field adjacent to my property, with no obstruction or power lines trees ect.

no for the big questions. Im a newbee with models of aircraft but im aircraft mnt eng so understand flight.
    I have a interest in rotary and fixed wing kits suitable for a beginner and used on my property.

so hit me with your best advice, id nearly rather quality over cheap throwaway type kits.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Start with a trainer plane like a Tutor 40 or a Wot 4 they take a fair beating. Also join a local club http://www.maci.ie/ all the clubs are listed here 10 flights with someone that knows what they are doing will have you off on your own. I can guarantee you if you go at it on your own you will crash within ten seconds they go out of control so quick. With me i found landing way easier than taking off was landing on my forth flight took me ages to get it off the ground . For the tutor 40 nitro you need a starter, fuel pump, fuel, charger, glow plug lighter , battery , transmitter , receiver. Wot 4 comes in nitro as well but for the electric one all you need is lipo battery's, transmitter ,receiver,and charger.And for helicopters a raptor 30 v2 is a good place to start also get a flight sim phoenix do a good one you will need it for the heli also that's where the club comes in them helis are no joke every time i have crashed my one it was €100 to put it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I stared with the a parkzone radian glider and tried to teach myself and made sh1t of it .I then bought the parkzone micro t28 and learned how to fly rc planes using that.What part of Ireland are you in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

when i enquired about starting in the hobby i was being quoted 4 and 5 hundred euros to get started alone and my budget wasnt in that range so i went with this.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16544__Bixler_v1_1_EPO_1400mm_ARF_.html

i crashed 2 of them im on my 3rd.i still have that and ive learned a lot about building and flying them etc but i decided i wanted something a bit more powerful so i went with the tutor 40 and got some lessons with it.now im flying much better.

my advice for what its worth is make sure you like the hobby then get lessons and spend the 400 or 500 euro.i wish i had done that at the start to be honest.
    the guy who told me at the start to shell out the 400 etc was right.

let us know how your getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I went with the Bixler as well, only have 1 flight on it in 3 months due to me being a beginner, (wind etc), but it's easy to fly and I got the whole thing secondhand for €70. Crashed it a few times into small trees in that one day and it held up well. Very impressed and looking forward to trying it the next time the wind is low!

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Sorry I forgot about this thread all together, I got a Bixler 2 from hobbykings and have been getting great use from it really enjoying flying and tinkering around with it! I cleared and cut a landing strip in the field even though I dont need it but its good practice,

I have been thinking of getting a fpv multi copter, any recommendations for a beginner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pistinbroketom

Hi everyone I am completely new to RC FLYING BUT VERRY EAGER TO LEARN. After looking at numerous youtube videos I got a Syma X5c Quadcopter [as a first step] but the thing just keeps leaning towards one motor and I cannot get it to level at all. I found a video on how to reset the calibration to factory setting but that does not seem to have helped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I went with the Bixler as well, only have 1 flight on it in 3 months due to me being a beginner, (wind etc), but it's easy to fly and I got the whole thing secondhand for €70. Crashed it a few times into small trees in that one day and it held up well. Very impressed and looking forward to trying it the next time the wind is low!

My Bixler 2 has several hundred flights on it at this stage. I'm in a seaside location so I've learned to fly in the wind. It's an excellent learner/improver model, and it's very forgiving. Easy to hand launch, and has a lovely slow appraoch and landing speed into the wind.

Loops are simple, rolls require plenty of elevator input and are still pretty ugly, but spins, stall turns, and even inverted flight are all very manageable with practice.

I've had the odd bumpy arrival and a kettle of near boiling water makes the foam just pop out to it's original shape. The foam hinges on the airelons were wearing so I fitted proper plastic mini hinges and these work well.

I'm using a fairly cheap Hobby King radio and transmitter and receiver (a relative brought them from the USA), and these have been faultless so far.

The flying site I use is rough enough so belly landing is best.

Advertisement