Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers

Options
  • 27-01-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi. Can anyone help me please. I did wrong 2 yrs ago. I was on job seekers when I was on 3 days a week. Then I changed jobs and I was full time. While still claiming job seekers. I know it's wrong and I'm very upset with myself that I would do this. But my wages were really bad and there was just enough money from my wages to cover the loans and rent and bills. My wife didn't work at the time. We also have 2 small kids to try and feed. I didn't know I could have claimed FIS at the time. I then got a bill for €3700 and I know I deserve it. But times were really tough. And I know there is a lot of people out there that are the same as me. But could I reduce the €3700 by telling them I could have claimed FIS at the time that i didn't know I could claim. I know what I did was wrong and I'm truly sorry for what I did. And I learned my lesson. I would be grateful for any help possible. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hi. Can anyone help me please. I did wrong 2 yrs ago. I was on job seekers when I was on 3 days a week. Then I changed jobs and I was full time. While still claiming job seekers. I know it's wrong and I'm very upset with myself that I would do this. But my wages were really bad and there was just enough money from my wages to cover the loans and rent and bills. My wife didn't work at the time. We also have 2 small kids to try and feed. I didn't know I could have claimed FIS at the time. I then got a bill for €3700 and I know I deserve it. But times were really tough. And I know there is a lot of people out there that are the same as me. But could I reduce the €3700 by telling them I could have claimed FIS at the time that i didn't know I could claim. I know what I did was wrong and I'm truly sorry for what I did. And I learned my lesson. I would be grateful for any help possible. Thanks

I doubt they'll offset anything you could have claimed on FIS against your overpayment. Your best bet is to meet whoever deals with your claim and put your case to them to make a weekly or monthly repayment that you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mikeyshragh

I doubt they'll offset anything you could have claimed on FIS against your overpayment. Your best bet is to meet whoever deals with your claim and put your case to them to make a weekly or monthly repayment that you can afford.

Hi thanks for replying. I did call them and I m paying back so much a week. But I was wondering could I reduce the amount from the €3700

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hi thanks for replying. I did call them and I m paying back so much a week. But I was wondering could I reduce the amount from the €3700

Doubt it considered you happily spent the fraudulent payments ,its going to be a case suck it up and make the repayments ,
    I know it sound harsh but I'm honestly not having a go

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mikeyshragh

Gatling wrote: »
    Doubt it considered you happily spent the fraudulent payments ,its going to be a case suck it up and make the repayments ,
    I know it sound harsh but I'm honestly not having a go

I spend it to feed my family not on any thing else. I know ur not having a go at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

They cant get blood out of a stone, you will have to make small weekly payments to pay back money own out of your full time wage now ,i take it you have now applyed for FIS. just work with them and see how little you can pay back weekly.
    but they will want it all back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I spend it to feed my family not on any thing else. I know ur not having a go at me.

Mikey write a letter to the officer dealing with your claim setting out your case.
    Say that you did not know about FIS at the time and though you acknowledge that you owe the money you are still in a bad place financially and you simply can't pay it all back.
    If you need help go to the citizens information centre.
    It probably won't work but at least try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If they have already come to an agreement with you to pay the debt weekly, there really is nothing more they will do.
    FIS is one of the most under claimed payments out there, lots of people don't know they are eligible, but you cannot back claim it, which is what you are asking them to do.

Advertisement