Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for East-Coast US or Canada

Options
  • 27-01-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

thinking of splashing out a little during summer 2014 and heading to east coast USA or Canada. I would be travelling with hubby and an 8 year old Son. Cant decide if we could do NYC, Boston and Montreal, via Niagara. Would an 8 year old cope with all the travel? What is the best of way of travelling between cities/across the border. Any tips on things to see or hotels to stay or any quirky days out for kids in those cities. Could spend up to 13 days or so out there. Would not be willing to drive considering some other boards posts about crying in the car after stressful driving experiences in NYC :-) any help or tips or "do nots" welcome thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I wouldn't do New York plus Boston and Montreal over two weeks - it's just too much travelling and you won't have enough time to get a real sense of any one of those locations. Adding in Niagara (which is over rated in my opinion) would just make it worse. What month are you going? Bear in mind it's very hot and humid here during the summer by Irish standards, which can be especially tough on a child. If possible, May and June are much better months to travel here than July/August.

I live in New York (been here 20 years) so I'm obviously a bit biased. In the summer there are a ton of things to do here, including baseball games, great beaches, tons of festivals and concerts in the parks (many of which are free), etc. You could easily spend 13 nights here and do a different thing every day.

Boston is great but after New York many people find it disappointing unless you have a real interest in American revolutionary period history, or have relatives or personal reasons to visit.

If I was you I'd consider skipping Boston and instead going out to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard or somewhere like that for some relaxing beach time. They have great inns there and Americans are at their best when relaxing on vacation. You could also go to the beautiful lake region in upstate NY and get a different picture of American life than that obtained from just visiting the big cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Hi,

We have done a similiar'ish type road trip twice. Flew Shannon to Boston, hired a car (make sure to get correct insurance and inform them you will be taking it over the border to Canada). The driving wasn't bad at all. Sat Nav is your friend if you get the maps. Boston is great I thought, especially for an 8yr in tow! Our kids loved it. Fantastic aquarium on the waterfront, duck boat tour, Americans largest train shop (if your son is into trains) http://www.charlesro.com/welcome_to_charles_ro.htm - we took the subway there, it's in a suburb of Boston. Fantastic restuarants in Boston, Legal Seafoods, one of my favourites.

Then we drove up through Vermont - Manchester, White River Junction up to Burlington - to Lake Placid (1980's winter olympics) and up Canada via a border crossing at Cornwall I believe. Spent some time in Ottawa (family there), then up to Montreal.

Montreal is a lovely city. Chateau Champlain is a fantastic hotel, subway stop underneath the hotel and it's downtown. Lots to do in Montreal. We headed back down through New Hampshire. Amazing countryside, covered bridges, lovely towns and lots of tourist things to do.
    Headed back to Boston then, and flew out back to Shannon.

It is a fair bit of driving, but if you plan out your route, with 1 or 2 overnight stays on the way up and back down, it will be a nice trip. Oh we even managed a trip to Ben and Jerry's factory in Vermont, the kids LOVED that:-).

We did both trips in August, and yes it was hot, but the cars mostly all have aircon. I'd do another road trip like that in a flash. Happy times. Toronto and Niagra is one long drive once you hit the border of Canada, 7 hours I think from Ottawa, factoring stops. I'd almost plan that as a separate trip. Personally I prefer the east coast.

Hope that helps somewhat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dominoe39

thanks for that feedback Paul and Lobsterlady. definitely food for thought there. it all sounds so good, i will be planning for ages :-) been to NYC twice before, before the smallie was born and loved it, but it would nice to take him for a different type of holiday, and see his cousins also. Vermont sounds fantastic too............ oh so much to look forward to. thanks again.

Advertisement