Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android phone Factory Data Reset

Options
  • 27-01-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am selling my Galaxy Ace and I want to clear all my data and settings. If I do 'Settings-Privacy-Factory Data Reset will it reset the phone to its out-of-the-box, as new condition? Phone is running Android 2.3.6.

I want to delete all photos, music, emails, gmails, downloaded apps, texts, Viber messages, WhatsApp messages email/gmail accounts, wallpaper,etc., etc.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yes this will restore the phone to the state it was in when you bought it. If there's an SD card in the phone then you may need to remove this or delete anything on it as I don't think this will be wiped with a factory restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

Benolam wrote: »
    I am selling my Galaxy Ace and I want to clear all my data and settings. If I do 'Settings-Privacy-Factory Data Reset will it reset the phone to its out-of-the-box, as new condition? Phone is running Android 2.3.6.

I want to delete all photos, music, emails, gmails, downloaded apps, texts, Viber messages, WhatsApp messages email/gmail accounts, wallpaper,etc., etc.

Many thanks.
    Yes if you do a factory reset it will wipe everything, it will be,as you say,like its brand new out of the box. Not sure if you are aware,but any apps you had on your phone can be re-installed on your new device from the playstore in "my apps"

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Thanks for the info guys. As expected and hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yes if you do a factory reset it will wipe everything, it will be,as you say,like its brand new out of the box. Not sure if you are aware,but any apps you had on your phone can be re-installed on your new device from the playstore in "my apps"

Really??
    i'd love to do a factory re-set but always thought i'd lose all the apps, and i paid for a few!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Slattsy wrote: »
    Really??
    i'd love to do a factory re-set but always thought i'd lose all the apps, and i paid for a few!!

Apps are tied to your Google account, once you buy you can install them on any phone or tablet (if compatible) as long as you're logged into the same Google account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well that just great!
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

Slattsy wrote: »
    Well that just great!
    Cheers.

Yeah you can throw your phone or tablet under a tractor if you like, your apps will still stay on the cloud. Go to the play store...apps....my apps,and bingo,there they all are. BTW slattsy,are you stalking me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Apps are tied to your Google account, once you buy you can install them on any phone or tablet (if compatible) as long as you're logged into the same Google account

Unless you run a custom ROM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

petrolcan wrote: »

Heh? How does that make any difference? You still log into a Google account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

petrolcan wrote: »

Even if you run a custom ROM, apps you got via Google Play will still be there, and you can reinstall on a new device, if compatible.

Factory resetting a custom ROM restores the phone to whatever custom ROM you installed/flashed, not to stock.

You can also restore apps from a Nandroid, if you wish to restore apps acquired elsewhere, not on Play, if you don't have the apks.

You may need Titanium Backup, or you can use Nandroid Manager free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.bkrestore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Heh? How does that make any difference? You still log into a Google account

I should've said that they wont automagically install on a custom ROM. They will on stock ROMs even when switching phones.

My bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

also take out sim and micro sd card

Advertisement