Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick renting accomodation

Options
  • 27-01-2014 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

I am renting a room and the landlord has just given me my notice, his excuse is that he is selling the house, initially when i took up the room he said that he does not live in the house but has a room locked up and would be in and out from time to time, i am renting with no rights as it is classed as rent room relief scheme, would the prtb have any interest in hearing of this story as the landlord is pretending its his ppr but in fact he is living with his girlfriend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am renting a room and the landlord has just given me my notice, his excuse is that he is selling the house, initially when i took up the room he said that he does not live in the house but has a room locked up and would be in and out from time to time, i am renting with no rights as it is classed as rent room relief scheme, would the prtb have any interest in hearing of this story as the landlord is pretending its his ppr but in fact he is living with his girlfriend.

As far as I am aware, if the Landlord wants to sell it then it is a valid reason for giving you notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you have any paperwork saying he doesn't live there? Can you actually prove he doesn't live there, apart from your word vs his.

If he has mail coming there, and a room locked up that's his, then probably not: he would just say that he worked nights or had to trravel with his job or whatever.

Seriously, if you've been given notice in accordance with the lease / licence that you have, just move on.

Now if he'd lied the other way, eg given you a lease, but them moved into one of the rooms himself and thus was kicking you out with very little notice - then you'd have something to be upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Don't think you have much of a case here I'm afraid. I think you knew the risks getting into when you went down the licensee route as opposed to a Landlord-Tenant lease. You had the benefit of not being tied to a lease, and as well as that, what sounds like the house all to yourself while only renting a room.

Seemed like it was a fairly sweet deal for you up until this point to be honest. Just because he's not staying there every night has no bearing on whether or not the house is his PPR. The PPR issue is only really gonna come into question if he tries to claim two properties as his PPR for loan / tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Eldarion wrote: »
    Just because he's not staying there every night has no bearing on whether or not the house is his PPR. The PPR issue is only really gonna come into question if he tries to claim two properties as his PPR for loan / tax purposes.

I suppose it calls into question at what point does a landlord become an owner occupier? From what the OP has said, they were told that the landlord does not live there (there is no suggestion that they sleep there), and uses a room in the house for storage. Is that sufficient for them to be considered an owner occupier?

To me it sounds very much like a guy who is trying to be smart and circumnavigate tenancy law by making themselves out to be something that they are not...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought if he wanted to sell the property it was a legitimate reason regardless of whther or not it was his PPR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

noodler wrote: »
    I thought if he wanted to sell the property it was a legitimate reason regardless of whther or not it was his PPR?

Depends on the lease and it depends on the notice given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The landlord informed you initially that you were renting a room as a licensee. He has access to the property as and when he wants it without your consent. He does not have to be a "live-in" landlord or an owner-occupier to grant you a licence to live in his property.

If you had been given a lease, enforceable under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, then he would have no right to enter the property without your express permission.

Advertisement