Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encrypted Hard Disk

Options
  • 27-01-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I ran through installing Linux Mint on my desktop recently, and I have to say I'm very happy with it except for one massive error that I made - encrypting the hard drive and then losing the password for it.

I have the root & user passwords but I'm being prompted for the encryption password on boot and having tried all the usual ones I would use, I'm looking into starting again.

I'm just wondering if there will be issues reinstalling Linux on the machine if the disk is encrypted or alternatively, is it possible to bypass this level of encryption like you would a BIOS password?

If I can bypass it and remove it then I'll do that but I've no files on the machine so I don't mind reinstalling

And yes...I'm aware that I've made an idiotic, rookie mistake here! :o

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, you can just install over it. It'll wipe out everything that's on the disk but you're not concerned about that.

We've all done the forgotten password thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Perfect cheers for clarifying that for me Khannie

Don't mind wiping it like I said but still....I half knew this would happen!

Advertisement