Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military medal - want to donate to Irish museum

Options
  • 27-01-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I've a quick question about Item donations to the national museum as ye guys seem to be buffs on the place. :P Myself and my dad found a cool old coin collection in the attic of his old house in Killester when we were moving. I wouldn't say the coins are of any use but there was an old military medal. It's a pretty standard one from googling it.

Anyway it's of no sentiment to me so I thought it might be of use to the national museum for their military archives or something. Just wondering would they care to take it or is it just a piece of old tat.

It looks like this one minus the ribbon.
    Medal.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

WW1 Victory Medal. Should have a name, rank, and unit on the rim.

Might be worth seeing if the National Museum would take it or if any local library is planning to do a WW1 related display. Any chance of re-uniting it with the family of the soldier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

WW1 Victory Medal. Should have a name, rank, and unit on the rim.

Might be worth seeing if the National Museum would take it or if any local library is planning to do a WW1 related display. Any chance of re-uniting it with the family of the soldier?

Aye it has the name rank and unit on the rim alright. Owners name was SGT. B. Anderson and the Unit is R Dub F.

I'd love to get it back to the family. I just haven't a breeze where to I'd even begin to start down that route. Hence why I felt a museum would be a responsible place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Hi,

R. Dub. F items are very popular with collectors. Many collectors buy single medals with the hope of reuniting them some day with other medals they might have in their collections.

I think a collector who collects R. Dub. F items would be the place to start. At least there is hope of it being reunited. I don't think a museum would actively seek out the other medals. There are many collectors on this form whom I am sure will contact you privately.

If you were to go down that road you could get a few euro for yourself and Dad too.

ps. The Medal Society of Ireland are holding a fair this weekend. R. Dub. Fus collectors would be there. Just a thought.

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Aye it has the name rank and unit on the rim alright. Prob Best I don't disclose the name here but the rank is SGT and the Unit is R Dub Fus.

I'd love to get it back to the family. I just haven't a breeze where to I'd even begin to start down that route. Hence why I felt a museum would be a responsible place for it.

can't imagine there'd be a problem showing his name and number

We do a lot of WW1 soldier research on the WW1 sub-forum in the Research a Soldier thread and in individual threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1244

Grand I'll edit my above post to include the name, will put the number later as I can't recall it and don't have the medal in my place. Will try get up a few pics as well.

If there is an issue with this please snip. :)

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Aye it has the name rank and unit on the rim alright. Owners name was SGT. B. Anderson and the Unit is R Dub F.

Is the number 4861? Forename Bernard. If so, his medal index card shows he was later a Corporal in the Labour Corps (number 421540). Awarded the 1915 Star, British War Medal as well as the Victory Medal that you have. No service or pension records that I can see.

He appears on the list of RDF men awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal for service in the Boer War

http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/medals/boer-war/qsa/

Might be worthwhile contacting the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association to see if they have any further info

http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com

A Bernard Anderson died South Dublin 1929 (born 1879 approx).
    Another Bernard Anderson died North Dublin 1952 (born 1877 approx)

A Bernard Anderson died South Dublin 1929 (born 1879 approx).
    Another Bernard Anderson died North Dublin 1952 (born 1877 approx)

Cool thanks for the info that gives me a start. I can't recall the number at the
    moment as the medal itself is in my room in my mam's place, I wont be back
    over for a few weeks. Although I would guess it may be the north Dublin Bernard
    considering it was found in Killester but I'll post more details when I have it to
    hand.

Also I must check through the Coins again to see if I can see any other medals
    that may have been separated from their Ribbon as that Queen's South Africa
    Medal would blend in very easily among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

We at the Irish military war museum would be delighted to display it!

www.imwm.ie contact details on site, or PM me :)

Advertisement