Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatty Vs Beefy??

Options
  • 27-01-2014 5:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Ok so I'm looking to get an organiser for my EDC bags one is a large backpack and the other is a satchel bag. The organiser will be used as an every day item holder such as pens, USB key, ear phones, Usb cable, small screw driver set etc. and also a mini survival kit so I need one on the larger side. So iv decided to go with a Maxpedition organiser and I can't Decided on either the Fatty or the Beefy. I know the Fatty is big but I'm wondering if I get the Beefy will that be too big for day to day use in a backpack/satchel does anybody have any experience using both of these or one or the other for this? Or any advice?
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I'm far to lazy to look up the gear you are on about OP so can you provide some links?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I use the Fatty for my edc and carry it in a small backpack.
    You can really fit alot of stuff into it and i can notice the extra weight in the backpack.
    But thats down to the tools i carry ,leatherman,swiss army forester etc.
    If the Beefy was full i reckon it would add alot extra weight for something you'd be carrying around all day.
    I was thinking of getting the Beefy also later in the year having similar to duplicate content as the fatty with extras, but i'd keep it at work so as not to be carrying it around.
    Monk for the contents you described the Fatty seems idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭the monk5845

Here's the links.

http://www.heinnie.com/Pocket-Organiser-Beefy/p-0-0-9412/

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=6659&strPageHistory=related

Thanks for the advice wolfeye! I'm not that worried about weight really I usually pack a heavy bag anyway but the Beefy packed out I think might just take up too much space! (If i have the space I tend to over pack hahaha)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I also had this question and have been looking at the differences between the two on Youtube at the moment im using the Maxpedition EDC for all my pocket tools but sadly its full so have to move to either the Fatty or the Beefy. One youtube review I seen had the EDC in the Fatty which was in the Beefy so the Beefy is fairly big. Im going to go with the Beefy as i wont be carrying it everyday its more for storage. After seeing what I could get into the EDC pouch Id be afraid of what I could fit in either the Fatty or Beefy to carry on a day to day bases. Check out Youtube loads for reviews Also check out the Maxpedition FR-1 pouch sweet piece of kit

Question guys, is it wise to put all your tools into one bag?

Eggs in baskets and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

A long time lurker but my first post on the S&SE forum :)

OP I have the fatty and it's ample big for an EDC. As one of the other responders mentioned, you can fit quite a bit into it, and it's not that too big for carrying in a rucksack. I bought mine through EM Gear. At the time even including shipping from the US it work out cheaper that I could find.

Conor.

Question guys, is it wise to put all your tools into one bag?

Eggs in baskets and all that.

90% of people have all their tools in one shed is that having all your eggs in one basket too? I like to store all my pocket tools together so I know where they are when needed and less chance of losing them

conjon wrote: »
    A long time lurker but my first post on the S&SE forum :)

OP I have the fatty and it's ample big for an EDC. As one of the other responders mentioned, you can fit quite a bit into it, and it's not that too big for carrying in a rucksack. I bought mine through EM Gear. At the time even including shipping from the US it work out cheaper that I could find.

Conor.

EM gear have good prices,but unfortunately shipping for the Beefy comes out at 42$ to Ireland.
    I guess postage and packaging has gone up in price.

ShadowFox wrote: »
    90% of people have all their tools in one shed is that having all your eggs in one basket too? I like to store all my pocket tools together so I know where they are when needed and less chance of losing them

How exactly could you go out and leave your shed somewhere :D

I can see lots of good reasons for keeping tools together but what I am asking is if the items are part of your survival equipment is it a good idea to put what are probably some of the most expensive and very useful items all in one small camo bag that could be forgotten, lost, dropped or stolen. My point is that if they are all together you have more chance of loosing the lot.

If the tools are for work then obviously putting them in one bag is a good idea, for no particular reason the tools I EDC are spread around my day bag according to size and how often I use them. Wire cutters for example have found their way into an inside pocket because I rarely use them, hand saw is down the side of the bag as its out more often. Small screwdriver set (pen type one) is in the top pocket. To loose everything I have to loose the whole bag, but if I was to put all the tool bits and pieces into a separate bag I could take that out to use something and forget it especially if its a "tactical colour".

At the other extreme all my First Aid kit bits are altogether in one bag but they are rarely used and the bag is bright red.

I'm not criticizing anyone for keeping their EDC survival tools handy in one bag just looking for the positives and negatives of doing so. A possible negative for me would be having a bag specifically for tools with empty spaces would mean I'd have to fill it, so I'd probably end up carrying around stuff I didn't need.

I plan on using the beefy for storage at home not to carry as it would not be justifiable with the weight of them all. But if you carry all your tools in one pouch or one bag (just a bigger pouch) your running the same risk of losing it or it getting robbed or forgetting it unless your going to tie cord to each item and then attach the other end of the cord to yourself , for me I like my bags to be organized be it in zip lock bags organizers or whatever I hate having to dig to the bottom of my large 120lt Bergen to get a tool flashlight batteries ect much easier to find a pouch or zip lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

wolfeye wrote: »
    EM gear have good prices,but unfortunately shipping for the Beefy comes out at 42$ to Ireland.
    I guess postage and packaging has gone up in price.

Wolfeye, if you can afford to wait and go for the USPS option, it's much cheaper. I was charged $14 postage for the fatty. In fairness to EM, they did advise that it would take time to get here, but if memory serves me it was here within 2 weeks.

conjon wrote: »
    Wolfeye, if you can afford to wait and go for the USPS option, it's much cheaper. I was charged $14 postage for the fatty. In fairness to EM, they did advise that it would take time to get here, but if memory serves me it was here within 2 weeks.

I e -mailed customer service and was quoted 15.90 us$ ordinary postage for the Beefy with no tracking or insurance.
    Will take 2 weeks or more to arrive.
    So total price with postage is approx 31.40 euro
    Best deal around.

After shopping around for the maxpedition beefy I decided to pick up 2 maxpedition fatty's instead only cost a couple of euro more http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Maxpedition-Fatty-Pocket-Organizer-Black-E-D-C-0261-EDC-5-x-7-Bag-Pack-/351004267931?pt=Luggage&hash=item51b97c159b

ShadowFox wrote: »
    After shopping around for the maxpedition beefy I decided to pick up 2 maxpedition fatty's instead only cost a couple of euro more http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Maxpedition-Fatty-Pocket-Organizer-Black-E-D-C-0261-EDC-5-x-7-Bag-Pack-/351004267931?pt=Luggage&hash=item51b97c159b

Do you expect to have to pay VAT?

Do you expect to have to pay VAT?
    They arrived yesterday no VAT no hassles

Advertisement