Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline Query

Options
  • 26-01-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
    About a year ago I bought a Philips Phone. It has 4 handsets and is cable free.
    The storms that we had recently knocked out our power. The phones went and when the power came back the base station would not work. The other 3 phones are fine but without the base station they can't be used.

I have since bought new phones and decided to bin the old ones. I have tried to change the fuse but it is one of those plugs that is unservicable. I have also switched plugs but the base station will not receive power.

I am wondering if there is anyway of protecting my new ones from this happening again. It can get kind of pricey.

Thanks
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭39steps

Hi Sarah,
    Yes, my landline is also out since lightning yesterday.
    No information on Eircom website re. timeline to fix, it's so annoying as I can't establish if the phone or the line is the fault. They have a recorded announcement saying many faults in "Galway area", 4 days to 2 weeks to repair.

Best.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

abimoo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
    About a year ago I bought a Philips Phone. It has 4 handsets and is cable free.
    The storms that we had recently knocked out our power. The phones went and when the power came back the base station would not work. The other 3 phones are fine but without the base station they can't be used.

I have since bought new phones and decided to bin the old ones. I have tried to change the fuse but it is one of those plugs that is unservicable. I have also switched plugs but the base station will not receive power.

I am wondering if there is anyway of protecting my new ones from this happening again. It can get kind of pricey.

Thanks
    Sarah

You can get a surge protector on Amazon that will protect against surges on landlines and a socket all in one.

Be sure to get the correct landline protector. Obviously you will only need to replace the base station..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It sounds like the base station is busted. It's not that uncommon. I know a few months ago before Christmas someone's landline phone blew off the wall and the top of the pole outside split in half.

Eircom are not responsible for anything past the main phone socket. They would be responsible for the poles etc that they own

Advertisement