Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nexus 7 charge time

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is covered already. I did a search and it didnt find anything within the last week.
    My son has a nexus 7 bought december 2012. Its running on 4.4.2.
    Everything was fine untill about a week or 10 days ago. It takes an age to charge. Maybe 1% every 45/60 mins. This makes it pretty useless as an over night charge might jump it up by 10~15% if we are lucky.
    A google search says this might be a problem with the android version its running but there is no sign of an update for it to be fixed. At this stage its put away and not being used. Ive checked for an update again today and there isnt one available.
    Has this affected anyone else in Ireland?
    Also, might be chancing my arm here but i bought 3 year warranty with it from currys, supposedly covers everything. Is it worth my while bringing it back as its un useable or would it be a waste of petrol?
    Thanks,
    Red.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

.red. wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is covered already. I did a search and it didnt find anything within the last week.
    My son has a nexus 7 bought december 2012. Its running on 4.4.2.
    Everything was fine untill about a week or 10 days ago. It takes an age to charge. Maybe 1% every 45/60 mins. This makes it pretty useless as an over night charge might jump it up by 10~15% if we are lucky.
    A google search says this might be a problem with the android version its running but there is no sign of an update for it to be fixed. At this stage its put away and not being used. Ive checked for an update again today and there isnt one available.
    Has this affected anyone else in Ireland?
    Also, might be chancing my arm here but i bought 3 year warranty with it from currys, supposedly covers everything. Is it worth my while bringing it back as its un useable or would it be a waste of petrol?
    Thanks,
    Red.

It might not be a software issue ,

I had similar problems with mine, returned to PC world to be fobbed off with it was the charging lead which they replaced on advice from Asus ,
    Couple of months later still have the same problem until I looked at the USB port and found it to be loose ,
    Got quoted a stupid price to repair it so I purchased the official nexus dock from Asus now I'm charging normal times and longer battery use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Gatling wrote: »
    It might not be a software issue ,

I had similar problems with mine, returned to PC world to be fobbed off with it was the charging lead which they replaced on advice from Asus ,
    Couple of months later still have the same problem until I looked at the USB port and found it to be loose ,
    Got quoted a stupid price to repair it so I purchased the official nexus dock from Asus now I'm charging normal times and longer battery use

Thanks.
    The charge port has always been a little loose since it was taken from the box. It never seemed to affect it so i did nothing about it. Since its insured i might pop down later with it to see what they say. Just wanted a few opinions first as its about a 50mile round trip.
    Ive tried a few different leads including charging from a laptop and it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Have you tried while powered off?

deckie27 wrote: »
    Have you tried while powered off?

Yep. Makes no difference. Just rang currys and they said it will need to be sent away to the uk to be repaired. Takes about 10days. Really pi$$ed off about that as i was led to believe repairs were done in the shop when i bought the warranty. Id be better off rolling over it in the car and getting a new one.

Yep. Makes no difference. Just rang currys and they said it will need to be sent away to the uk to be repaired. Takes about 10days. Really pi$$ed off about that as i was led to believe repairs were done in the shop when i bought the warranty. Id be better off rolling over it in the car and getting a new one.

Lucky mine was left in PC world on a shelf for 2 weeks because Asus told there tech's it didn't need a repair,

If you do get a replacement go and buy the official charging dock ,

It will save on future hassle and can be used for viewing movies and so on a table

• Advertisement

They also told me to try the usb charger that came with it, supposedly it differs from other usb leads. A guy in work said this too the other day but when i tried it, it made no difference. Plugged it in again today and it seems to be charging ok. 10% in 10 mins. It made no difference tho other day so im a bit baffled to why it has now. Ive been using a blackberry charger since day one as the cable is longer and it was always fine to charge. Ill see how it goes for the next few days and bring it back then if needed.
    Thanks for the replies.

They also told me to try the usb charger that came with it, supposedly it differs from other usb leads. A guy in work said this too the other day but when i tried it, it made no difference. Plugged it in again today and it seems to be charging ok. 10% in 10 mins. It made no difference tho other day so im a bit baffled to why it has now. Ive been using a blackberry charger since day one as the cable is longer and it was always fine to charge. Ill see how it goes for the next few days and bring it back then if needed.
    Thanks for the replies.

WO WO WO...hang on, are you not using the official plug that came with it?

If not, that's the problem here...

The damned thing is driving me mad. It charged normal upto the high 30's and has taken another 3 hours to go to 50%.

WO WO WO...hang on, are you not using the official plug that came with it?

If not, that's the problem here...

No its not, the one i use was the replacement generic usb charging cable recommended from Asus to PC world

The USB port is a major weak point on the 2012 nexus tablet its reported on practically most nexus and tablet forums ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

What power output is your BlackBerry charger?
    If it is less than 1A it too weak to correctly charge the tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ongarite wrote: »
    What power output is your BlackBerry charger?
    If it is less than 1A it too weak to correctly charge the tablet.

It would just charge slower, like charging from a PC USB port....but if it is allowed to charge fully, then that's OK....as long as it's 5V!!!

Slow charges are better for batteries than fast charges.

Sure Motorola supplied no charger at all with the Moto G!!!

It seems to me that this Battery may be fooked......

but that should be covered by the warranty you bought, it was a 3-year warranty??

In actual fact, you are also covered by the Statutory Warranty which is in force in Ireland and all EU countries.....

this covers such things as hardware failure, and is meant to cover you against manufacturing defects or dodgy components.

www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I had the same problem but managed to get it sorted using the second video below. It's more of a work around than a fix tbh.

Try this first, it might solve the problem for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzBQsMI5AEI

And this workied for me, no idea how, but it did. I do have to perform the steps at each charge though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFcfirYvuA

I had the same problem but managed to get it sorted using the second video below. It's more of a work around than a fix tbh.

Try this first, it might solve the problem for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzBQsMI5AEI

And this workied for me, no idea how, but it did. I do have to perform the steps at each charge though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFcfirYvuA

All good, but if you bought a 3 year warranty, like the OP did, would you not make a claim for a new battery??

Workarounds are fine, and in certain circumstances they are a Godsend, but that warranty??

You paid good money for?? ( The OP I mean)

Just to cover such an eventuality as this!!

All good, but if you bought a 3 year warranty, like the OP did, would you not make a claim for a new battery??

Workarounds are fine, and in certain circumstances they are a Godsend, but that warranty??

You paid good money for?? ( The OP I mean)

Just to cover such an eventuality as this!!
    Cheers.
    Its going back some day during the week. Itll charge to about 36/38% as normal and after that its very very slow, definatly some kind of a problem.
    Thankfully i paid for the extended warranty/insurance, i usually wouldnt bother but it was bought for a young kid and i reckoned there was a chance of it being dropped and smashed.

Cheers.
    Its going back some day during the week. Itll charge to about 36/38% as normal and after that its very very slow, definatly some kind of a problem.
    Thankfully i paid for the extended warranty/insurance, i usually wouldnt bother but it was bought for a young kid and i reckoned there was a chance of it being dropped and smashed.

Fair play, hope it works out for you.

For what it's worth, I believe you would have been covered under the Statutory Warranty, your guarantee/insurance should be in addition to those rights.

See here:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

Dec 2012 to now is less than the two year period stipulated, but the clock is ticking!!!

Just be clear, your contract is with the retailer, whoever you bought the device from...don't be fobbed off by them saying they have to send it back to the manufacturer, or you should contact the manufacturer....

that is up to them, but they have a duty to you under law, and they were party to the same contract you are. It applies both ways.

See European Directive 1999/44/EC, as this has been transposed into Law in Ireland and in all EU countries which did not already have a similar level of Consumer Protection.

We got the tablet back the other day, 8/9 day turnaround which wasnt too bad. New plug, lead and D board fitted and its working/charging fine.
    They also replaced the casing which had a small chip gone from the corner. This was cosmetic and didnt affect the tablet in any way so fair play to them.
    Good service from them and for me anyway, well worth the money we paid for the extended warranty.

Advertisement