Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte GSmart Maya M1 V2 user review

Options
  • 26-01-2014 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Got this new phone two weeks ago and wanted to report on my progress with it - Its a fantastic spec for the price (175Euro Sim Free in DID Electric)

Basic Spec: http://www.gsmarena.com/gigabyte_gsmart_maya_m1_v2-5551.php

1.2GHZ MT6589 Quad Core 1.2GHZ
    1GB RAM
    2.7GB available for user storage - (1GB Internal/1.7GB Phone Storage)
    MicroSD Compatible (Iv installed 32GB Class 10 UHS1 which is working splendidly)
    Android 4.2
    4.5" Screen
    8MP Camera

Anyway ive benchmarked using passmark and it scores consistently +2240 Points overall - with over 8400 on the CPU benchmark -

So, just wanted to see if anyone else had gotten one and what they thought!
    Happy to answer any questions on it for perspective buyers!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How are you getting on with it. Like the idea of one with a dual sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hal9550

I have this phone too! Was curious to see if anyone else has it in Ireland: In a word: Fantastic!

1: I successfully rooted the device allowing me to remove the bloatware that came with the phone - Rooting allowed me to install Root-App2SD, and Root Uninstaller - Removed a tonne of stuff that was eating space and RAM!

2: Once Rooted I used Battery Doctor to customize what apps are allowed to run continuously in the backround - aside from system components, only Viber and Whatsapp are no allowed to run - the rest will be shut down after innactivity - my battery life has effectively TRIPLED! 58 Hours of general use including listening to music, browsing, checking emails, etc

3: CWM Recovery! I was able to create a modified version of the stock recovery using MTK Tools and flash it to the phone - This enabled me to create a backup of the unit in its most functional state - in case i run into any problems

4: Repartitioned! Using MT65xx app i altered the storage configuration of the unit. When purchased it comes with 2.7GB of usable storage but this is divided into 1GB Internal (Data + App) storage, and 1.7GB of phone storage. However using a MT65xx repartition tool i changed this adding 1.5GB to the Data storage partition - this seemed logical seeing as how i have a 32GB SD Card!

havent encountered any issues - VERY pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

For that price I got a phone with much better specs, as usual getting ripped off in shops.

For that price I got a phone with much better specs, as usual getting ripped off in shops.

What dual sim phone did you get and in what shop.

beauf wrote: »
    What dual sim phone did you get and in what shop.

Ordered it online, its not dual sim but similar phones can be gotten dual sim, ive no need for 2 sims, atm im using a Jiayu G3ST for 150 inc delivery it has much better specs and is dual sim

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to one that's dual sim with superior specs? and I assume cheaper then €175

No del charges or tax from customs?

Does it have full Irish play store with out messing around with rooting and roms.

Do you have a link to one that's dual sim with superior specs? and I assume cheaper then €175

No del charges or tax from customs?

Does it have full Irish play store with out messing around with rooting and roms.

Yes to all the above and google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

I fail to see how this Jiayu Phone is much superior - As far as i can see its the same basic spec except its a MT6589T which is slightly faster - the screen resolution is slightly better - and thats it!

Fair enough though it sounds like you got a bargain - But i prefer to have a better branded phone - i have used Gigabyte for Motherboards, Graphics cards, laptops, heatsinks, etc - they are a great brand - granted they are not Samsung, or Asus - but to me Gigabyte is a recognizable brand -

Hum... Rooting it sounds interesting but il wait i think - its a decent phone as it is so

If you have to drag information out of someone, its rarely worth the effort.
    hal9550 wrote: »
    I have this phone too! Was curious to see if anyone else has it in Ireland: In a word: Fantastic!...

How have you got the sims set up, I assume only one sim is enabled for data.

well from my point of view- the secondary sim slot is 2g only - i tried a second sim in it and it worked fine - i intend to use the feature if im ever in the UK - could be handy

• Advertisement

If you have to drag information out of someone, its rarely worth the effort.

How have you got the sims set up, I assume only one sim is enabled for data.

Well considering I was on my phone it was impossible but ill show you now

Better screen and resolution
    • 4.5 inch HD IPS; Retina, 326PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass
    • Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen, 1280*720 pixels
    Faster processor

MTK6589T Cortex A7 Quad Core 1.5GHz

Better battery
    • Battery:
      • Removable Battery 2750mAh
    The GPS on the MT6589 which you guys have has many bugs.

The Jiayu has

• Gravity Sensor
    • Proximity Sensor
    • Light Sensor
    Anything else you wanna get butt hurt about?

Do you have a link to one that's dual sim with superior specs? and I assume cheaper then €175....

^

So clearly specs aren't enough? Well here you go http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g3st-mtk6589t-1-5ghz-4-5-hd-inch-ips-gorilla-glass-screen-android-4-2-1-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7839.htm?setCurrencyId=33

Link check

Dual sim check

126.77 plus 20 euro delivery and customs(If caught) of about 25= 171.77 so under 175 check

Better specs check.

Is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Milkybarkid7

liamtech wrote: »
    I fail to see how this Jiayu Phone is much superior - As far as i can see its the same basic spec except its a MT6589T which is slightly faster - the screen resolution is slightly better - and thats it!

Fair enough though it sounds like you got a bargain - But i prefer to have a better branded phone - i have used Gigabyte for Motherboards, Graphics cards, laptops, heatsinks, etc - they are a great brand - granted they are not Samsung, or Asus - but to me Gigabyte is a recognizable brand -

Hum... Rooting it sounds interesting but il wait i think - its a decent phone as it is so

That phone has literally double your RAM size and easily makes the phone quite superior and that is excluding the faster processor, ROM size and factory unlocking by default.

Enjoy your 'better branded phone.'

...No del charges or tax from customs?...
    Yes to all the above...
    ...plus 20 euro delivery and customs(If
    caught)....

Have ever returned one. How did that work and how much did that cost?

Have ever returned one. How did that work and how much did that cost?

Nope the build is quality, when better specs come out I buy that.....so thats the best you can do? Returns.....lol at least admit I was right cmon be a bigger man.

That phone has literally double your RAM...

Are they not both 1GB?

Nope the build is quality, when better specs come out I buy that.....so thats the best you can do? Returns.....lol at least admit I was right cmon be a bigger man.

If you are only interested in specs there are better phones. Especially with regard to camera, sound quality and software. So the only reason to buy to from China is to save money. Considering mobile phones fail a lot. Then you have to consider returning them is a significant factor in the total cost of ownership. Which was the whole point of buying a chinese phone in the first place.

Other wise its like buying a car and ignoring depreciation in your costs.

The last 2 new non smart phones I bought, I still have. The last 3 new smart phones I've had have all failed under warranty and been returned, and I've got refunds on two of them So it may not be important to you, but its important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

this phone is fine if you want warranty.

Is it the best phone for the price available?
    No chance.

much better phones available, it just depends whats important to the buyer. This isn't a place to say your phone is better, its whats important to each customer.

no need for this "my phone is better than yours" crap.

That phone has literally double your RAM size and easily makes the phone quite superior and that is excluding the faster processor, ROM size and factory unlocking by default.

Enjoy your 'better branded phone.'

it does not have twice the ram

it has a factory overclocked version of my chip

it has the EXACT same rom size

Honestly if your going to get antagonistic, you should probably get your facts straight first -

i stated clearly that yes its better , but hardly far superior - if one is interested in performance than proximity sensors and other funstions, along with screen resolution are irrelevant

The only PERFORMANCE related feature that the fone has is the MT6589T being slightly faster - fair enough - as i said you got a bargain -

But im happy as ifr i have a problem i can bring it back to DID Electric - as long as i dont root it of course :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

If you are only interested in specs there are better phones. Especially with regard to camera, sound quality and software. So the only reason to buy to from China is to save money. Considering mobile phones fail a lot. Then you have to consider returning them is a significant factor in the total cost of ownership. Which was the whole point of buying a chinese phone in the first place.

Other wise its like buying a car and ignoring depreciation in your costs.

The last 2 new non smart phones I bought, I still have. The last 3 new smart phones I've had have all failed under warranty and been returned, and I've got refunds on two of them So it may not be important to you, but its important to me.

Hold on you asked me to prove it and I did at least admit I was right, I had a S3 before the Jiayu and theres no difference in sound or camera quality, the video quality is a improvement on the S3

Hold on you asked me to prove it and I did at least admit I was right, I had a S3 before the Jiayu and theres no difference in sound or camera quality, the video quality is a improvement on the S3

Hey man - i was responding to the other guys obviously condescending remark about the Jiayu fone being far superios - he stated clearly that it has twice the ram - now assuming the links and the model numbers provided are correct, than this statement is not true - they have the exact same Ram/Rom (Mind you its not really a ROM so to speak)

Anyway im not trying to argue with anyone

Hey man - i was responding to the other guys obviously condescending remark about the Jiayu fone being far superios - he stated clearly that it has twice the ram - now assuming the links and the model numbers provided are correct, than this statement is not true - they have the exact same Ram/Rom (Mind you its not really a ROM so to speak)

Anyway im not trying to argue with anyone

Yeh I seen that dunno how he mixed it up either.....hopefully he admits his error :pac:

Yeh I seen that dunno how he mixed it up either.....hopefully he admits his error :pac:

to be honest ive been looking at Jiayu for a bit since u brought it up - its a really good fone - to be honest these mt6589/6589t phones are all excellent

Have you seen the MT6592 Octa Core phones? When they go into mass production im nabbing one ASAP! Im not mad into features like GPS, sensors etc - i just love having a decent bit of processing power! To hold an 8 core system in my hand - BLISS!!!!

Bring on the MT6592!!!!!! They are on ebay but im waiting for the price to come down and some UK suppliers to appear

to be honest ive been looking at Jiayu for a bit since u brought it up - its a really good fone - to be honest these mt6589/6589t phones are all excellent

Have you seen the MT6592 Octa Core phones? When they go into mass production im nabbing one ASAP! Im not mad into features like GPS, sensors etc - i just love having a decent bit of processing power! To hold an 8 core system in my hand - BLISS!!!!

Bring on the MT6592!!!!!! They are on ebay but im waiting for the price to come down and some UK suppliers to appear

Im the same not mad for gps etc, ordered a Lenovo K860i there, its single sim but had 1.6 quad core samsung exyonos chipset 2gb rom and 16gb ram, cant wait to get my hands on it!

Im the same not mad for gps etc, ordered a Lenovo K860i there, its single sim but had 1.6 quad core samsung exyonos chipset 2gb rom and 16gb ram, cant wait to get my hands on it!

Sounds decent - that will be obviously far superior - do you mind me asking what you paid for it - and where? If you prefer to PM me a link like? Lenovo is a brand i trust massively - id be interested in that one myself if the price was right!

Sounds decent - that will be obviously far superior - do you mind me asking what you paid for it - and where? If you prefer to PM me a link like? Lenovo is a brand i trust massively - id be interested in that one myself if the price was right!

200 on merimobiles that includes delivery, I assume ill get stung on customs hopefully not too much.

200 on merimobiles that includes delivery, I assume ill get stung on customs hopefully not too much.

class - thats a great price - fairplay - Il definitely keep an eye on it so!

Er no I didn't, I simply wanted a link. Any competition with me is your head.

I wasn't saying the Jiayu has a bad camera. I was saying if you are chasing the best specs, then there are better phones. Also there considerations beyond simply the spec, if you are trying to reduce overall costs.

I'm not really sure what the point of buying one chinese phone after another. You're not buying the best spec or saving money. It sounds more like a hobby. Bit like those watch guys buying 20 different russian watches.

• Advertisement

Er no I didn't, I simply wanted a link. Any competition with me is your head.

I wasn't saying the Jiayu has a bad camera. I was saying if you are chasing the best specs, then there are better phones. Also there considerations beyond simply the spec, if you are trying to reduce overall costs.

Its not competition, you clearly got annoyed when I said I had better specs for price etc, in fact you quoted your own post and in bold asked for a link to prove better price,specs and dual sim so er yeh you did.

Advertisement