Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English comparative HL

Options
  • 26-01-2014 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Hey! Recently got back my comparative essay on theme or issue in "Sive", "I'm not scared" and "Purple hibiscus". I chose love as my main theme and split it into 3 headings with 3 key scenes/moments from each text.

However, my English teacher seems to have ripped my essay to shreds and left me a note at the end saying that it could be an A answer, just needs more compare and contrast. Does anyone know how i go about doing this in a comparative essay? I'm slightly confused as to how i approach it..
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Under each heading dicuss the three key moments from each text.

Use linking words such as:
    'Similarly in Sive....'
    'On the contrary, in I'm Not Scared.....'
    and my teachers fav.
    'Analogously in Sive...' (similarly)
    'Inversely in Sive...' (differently)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

T0001 wrote: »
    Under each heading dicuss the three key moments from each text.

Use linking words such as:
    'Similarly in Sive....'
    'On the contrary, in I'm Not Scared.....'
    and my teachers fav.
    'Analogously in Sive...' (similarly)
    'Inversely in Sive...' (differently)

Ah, so if I refer to a certain scene that shows the strength of love in sive and another one in I'm not scared, I use the linking words in the paragraph on I'm not scared?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

You can't just throw together a couple of observations on the texts with 'comparing phrases' between them. You have to actually show you have considered each text in the light of the other two. Use phrases like 'more ... than' (The same theme is explored in "I'm Not Scared" but in a manner that is more subtle than in "Sive"...) Then go on to show a) why it is the same theme, and b) why it is more subtle. Examiners are alert enough to spot a student who just ticks a box by inserting a word like 'similarly' in a paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Indalo6

Key points for the comparative are:
    Use a good amount and variety of link words/phrases
    Back up your points with relevant quotes
    Structure your essay (don't have the paragraphs too long)
    Keep referring back to the question

(I'm doing the LC this year too, and I'm doing Sive and I'm not Scared also!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

You can't just throw together a couple of observations on the texts with 'comparing phrases' between them. You have to actually show you have considered each text in the light of the other two. Use phrases like 'more ... than' (The same theme is explored in "I'm Not Scared" but in a manner that is more subtle than in "Sive"...) Then go on to show a) why it is the same theme, and b) why it is more subtle. Examiners are alert enough to spot a student who just ticks a box by inserting a word like 'similarly' in a paragraph.

Ah, use links but expand on them and give reasons as to why they're the same/different?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fionaec1

Does anybody have any comparative sample answers on All My sons by Arthur Miller, Children of Men and How Many Miles to Babylon? Would be really helpful thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Anyone got sample answer of war in the comparative of empire of sun, sons of ulster marching towards Somme and Casablanca?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 forevergold22

I'm going to peel on this thread and ask if a comparative question says something about "Central characters" would you loose marks for discussing characters other than the protagonist? Also is it necessary to support every statement with a key moment? Thanks :)

Advertisement