Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exemption!

Options
  • 26-01-2014 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hello Guys,

I need help to get an exemption in Irish. I am currently in 3rd year and want to drop it for Leaving Cert. Irish has never been a strong subject for me since Primary School. I barely get C's in Ordinary Level semester exams but fail class tests. It affects the other language I am learning, German. During tests I seem to mix up the vocabs and it annoys me. I find it hard to focus on all my subjects as my Irish homework is very long.

It's not just that. I have very poor attention and have been diagnosed with ADD and Aspergers Syndrome. My Psycologist said that I am eligible to get exempt from Irish but the school principal is refusing since I do not have dyslexia.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

We had a similar situation in our school. A student moving into LC cycle had learning disability and wanted to drop Irish. But like you the principal refused as he was not dyslexic. I think a student must be dyslexic to be eligible to drop IRish.

You could get your Psycologist to talk to your principal and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

The problem is that we contacted the psycologist and she said the school should sort it out but the school is saying the opposite thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Serious question OP, you are learning two languages which are not your first language. Why would you want to drop Irish but keep on German? I don't understand the logic of the argument aside from poor grades.

I was told to do German by my psycologist. It is easier for me to learn. My problems causes me to have very poor attention in class, not being able to study effectively, unclear speech sometimes, stammering, poor motor skills and not being able to explain things well when i'm speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    I was told to do German by my psycologist. It is easier for me to learn. My problems causes me to have very poor attention in class, not being able to study effectively, unclear speech sometimes, stammering, poor motor skills and not being able to explain things well when i'm speaking.

Is Irish the only subject that you're having difficulty in?

If you were born outside of Ireland, you could get an entry requirement waiver from the NUIs, no matter what age you came back.

• Advertisement

Is Irish the only subject that you're having difficulty in?

If you were born outside of Ireland, you could get an entry requirement waiver from the NUIs, no matter what age you came back.

My school actually refuses the NUI Exemption things, my friend actually tried before

My school actually refuses the NUI Exemption things, my friend actually tried before

Just get onto the Dept of Education then, it's not up to your school to make the decision if you are entitled to an exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

This is just my opinion by the way, not advice:

What about just failing Irish: not doing work in class? You'd have to be careful of college implications though.

My mum went to the school and the principal said she has the authority. My psycologist(works in A hse PLACE) is no help eitheR

This is just my opinion by the way, not advice:

What about just failing Irish: not doing work in class? You'd have to be careful of college implications though.

It won't work as I'll get a lot of detentions and my teacher is very strict

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you qualify for an exemption at Junior Cert.?
    Not being good at Irish or finding it hard are not grounds for an exemption.
    The fact that you are able to do German means it's not an actual language difficulty.

spurious wrote: »
    Do you qualify for an exemption at Junior Cert.?
    Not being good at Irish or finding it hard are not grounds for an exemption.
    The fact that you are able to do German means it's not an actual language difficulty.

I actually qualify under the current guidelines

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I actually qualify under the current guidelines

I don't see what the problem is then.

If your school is not processing your 'Reasonable Accommodation' request and it is backed up by a current educational psychologist's report, then I suggest your parents contact Reasonable Accommodations in Athlone.
    Getting the exemption for the JC does not automatically mean you will get it for the LC and while you might be exempt, your school may still require you to attend the classes if they do not have the resources to supervise you separately.

spurious wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is then.

If your school is not processing your 'Reasonable Accommodation' request and it is backed up by a current educational psychologist's report, then I suggest your parents contact Reasonable Accommodations in Athlone.
    Getting the exemption for the JC does not automatically mean you will get it for the LC and while you might be exempt, your school may still require you to attend the classes if they do not have the resources to supervise you separately.

My school is not willing to acommodate me and my psycologist is not helping either. My school wants a new report but my psycologist says its ok but they're both telling us diffent stories. My principal does not care if somebody has a learning problem but dyslexia.

My school is not willing to acommodate me and my psycologist is not helping either. My school wants a new report but my psycologist says its ok but they're both telling us diffent stories. My principal does not care if somebody has a learning problem but dyslexia.

Which is why you are being advised to contact the Department of Education directly and bypass your school.

Ok then. It seems a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Hello Guys,

I need help to get an exemption in Irish. I am currently in 3rd year and want to drop it for Leaving Cert. Irish has never been a strong subject for me since Primary School. I barely get C's in Ordinary Level semester exams but fail class tests. It affects the other language I am learning, German. During tests I seem to mix up the vocabs and it annoys me. I find it hard to focus on all my subjects as my Irish homework is very long.

It's not just that. I have very poor attention and have been diagnosed with ADD and Aspergers Syndrome. My Psycologist said that I am eligible to get exempt from Irish but the school principal is refusing since I do not have dyslexia.

Any advice would be great.

Exemptions are not for people who just dont want to do the subject, they are for people who have valid reason to be exempt, such as being educated outside of Ireland for a lenghty period of time or a learning disability.

Given that you are learning German, you clearly don't have a problem learning languages, so on what basis do you think you qualify for an exemption from Irish?

I suggest you pull up your socks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I suggest we leave the matter to the SEC to decide! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement